Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,601   Online: 1193

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear chloe1,

If you are looking for a large color change in selenium, try Kentmere FB papers. Their RC paper may tone just as well, but I have not tried it.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Forte papers (both polywarmtone and coldtone) tone very nicely in KRST, but unfortunately they are stopping production

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford's Warm Tone RC paper tones pretty much exactly like their FB Warm Tone papers in Kodak selenium. The MG IV RC doesn't show any real color change in KRST but there is a very slight change that's hard to see unless you compare an untoned print with a toned one. Toned MG IV prints seem to be a little less greenish to my eyes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was seeing Alex Hawley's J&C (Forte) Polywarmtone prints, toned in selenium that led to my plan to use this paper. I'm now trying decide if I can afford to or even should...get in the queue to stock up on J&C/Arista.EDU/Forte/Bergger...warmtone. The stuff looks wonderful toned with selenium.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who knows more about Forte discontinuing production? (Hal9000, above comment).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    Who knows more about Forte discontinuing production? (Hal9000, above comment).
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...roduction.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    MGIV's (RC and FB) DMAX will also drop after a few minutes in selenium (i.e. the shadows will get darker). Not a lot though, and if you continue toning they will lighten a little again.

Different papers give different effects; the knack is in learning which ones suit which jobs. Personally I don't care much for the for the traditional aubergine (eggplant) hues. Others love 'em. Chacun a son gout!

...and no, you're not stupid!
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    MGIV's (RC and FB) DMAX will also drop after a few minutes in selenium (i.e. the shadows will get darker).
    I'd have called that a rise in Dmax, though I can see why you used that construction. It had just never occurred to me that there might be two ways of looking at it. Which way 'round would others describe it?

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If there's a right way and a wrong way, you can always count on me to... :rolleyes:

You are, of course, correct.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    If there's a right way and a wrong way, you can always count on me to... :rolleyes:

You are, of course, correct.
    Dear Frank,

Thanks for being so sporting about it. This sort of thing always intrigues me, because my wife and I are constantly analyzing/describling things 'backwards' compared to one another and this was the kind of description she'd use (not in this case, but in many parallel examples). I wondered if anyone else would think the same way, because when you analyze it, a drop would normally imply darker.

Cheers,

R.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin