Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,925   Online: 1179

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chloe1 View Post
    I just tried to tone Ilford multi grade RC deluxe paper with Kodak Rapid Selenium toner. I used a 1-3 ratio for 6 minutes after washing and there was absolutely NO effect on the print. Am I missing something vital? PLEASE HELP!!!!
    I read some where that Multigrade IV which although is responsive to some toners, is designed to be much more resistant to colour changes where as the Multigrade Warmtone emulsion is designed to be much more responsive to the use of various toners, hence the use of Selenium toner is at best `subtle`with Multigrade IV. Multigrade Cooltone is said to tone well too.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just finished toning an Ilford MG IV RC Deluxe print. Using Anchell's recommendation, I washed it for about 10 minutes, re-fixed it in a non-hardening fixer (TF-4) from Photographer's Formulary, then sent it straight to the toner. I diluted Kodak's brand diluted 1:20 and kept the print in the toner for 10 minutes. D-max did increase some but with no apparent change in color (which is ok for this print).

I wonder if there is no change in color, then is there at least the archival protection being imparted to the RC print. Anchell says that there should be no real expectation of long-term storgae of RC prints unless they are selenium toned.

Chuck

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have finished toning several prints with selenium and am quite pleased with the results, considering they are my first attempts at toning. I must change my statement of the previous post, that I did not observe a change in color. There was a color change, a definite "cooling" effect did take place. It was just slight enough not to catch my eye until I compared it to an untoned print.

CP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a prudent proposal , as I am not a B&W master, but try an other paper developer, neutral to warm-tone working formula. Ore shorten the developing time. It might work (it works for me), who knows...

Good luck,
    Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had good success with toning Ilford RC paper. I have to agree that the WT paper tones much better than the MGIV. I use Ctein technique that he describes in "Post Exposure" I keep my 1:5 (MGIV)
    1:10 (WT) KRST in a warm water bath (85-95degF). This really speeds up the toning and I usually only have to tone for several minutes. I have also toned with kodak Sepia and Brown toner and have gotten some pleasing tones with toning with Sepia first and then in Brown toner. I like and prefer the tone that I get with the KRST and the MGIV. The KRST takes the olive tone out of the MGIV and seems to increase the D-Max.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have found that cutting the print slightly in a Ferricyanide bleach helps to clean up the whites and make the print sing when toneing RC MGIV in selenium, to promote colour change with this paper have found it nessesary to heat selenium on warming tray to about 30 oC when it produces the clasic eggplant colour. Word of warning hot selenium STINKS GOOD VENTILATION ESSENTIAL. I use Fotospeed toner mixed 1:20.

Regards Paul.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin