Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,629   Online: 1312

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I found Kentmere FP VC fiber paper as a replacement for Polymax. I develop in Zone VI developer 1:3 from stock for 3 minutes.

I think the paper is great. For some reason, I have a better feel for this paper than Ilford but that is subjective. For negatives, I use TMAX 100 developed in TMAX RS. The Kentmere is very responsive to selenium toner ranging from slight increase in DMax to slight purple black, to eggplant, to red-black in 2 - 5 minutes at a 1:15 dilution.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto View Post
    Yes, it is your negatives. If you negatives do not reach proper density you prints will lack. I just tried some Kentmere with the recent demise of Forte and I have to say I am impressed with the overall tonal range of the paper. Have you ever read the densities of the actual negs you are using? If not, I would start there to make sure you negs are properly exposed.
    This might explain the different reaction Steve-Keffs and I have to the paper. Steve-Keffs gets dishwater prints using a 4 filter. My negatives are quite dense plus I add staining Pyro. I use a 2.5 filter and love the paper. I can’t remember using more than a 3 filter except when trying split grade printing to bring out detail in a water fall or a snow setting.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm interested in how this paper reacts to bleaching - Forte bleaches very easily, whereas Ilford VC paper does not (or you have to use a very big hammer, making bleaching very difficult to control).

Anyone?
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Try This

I have found the Kentmere to have much contrast than Ilford, particularly the Ilford warmtone. From my experience with both papers, I would suggest that you try the Kentmere at Grade 1.5 or 2, as suggested earlier, then make your comparison.

With the disappearance of Kodak's Polymax FA, I too have made Kentmere Fineprint my standard paper. Its principal weakness for my use is that it runs out of contrast at the high end. If I need more than 3.5 (and I will admit to having some negatives that benefit from a real grade 4), I have to look elsewhere.

--Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenM View Post
    I'm interested in how this paper reacts to bleaching - Forte bleaches very easily, whereas Ilford VC paper does not (or you have to use a very big hammer, making bleaching very difficult to control).

Anyone?
    The gloss FB Fineprint is wonderful for bleach-back and selenium toning, there are some examples on my site. For straight toning it is also good. The warmtone version is not very good for the bleach-back technique, but tones quite well.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    The warmtone version is not very good for the bleach-back technique, but tones quite well.
    Apart from selenium -- where there's virtually no change in colour at all, which is unusual for a warmtone paper.

I like Kentmere Fineprint VC very much and it's my standard fibre paper.

It does require a bit of effort and experimentation to get the best out of it and I tend to switch to Ilford MGIV if I need to print at grade 4 or above. But at grades 0 -- 3 1/2 it's excellent.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    The gloss FB Fineprint is wonderful for bleach-back and selenium toning, there are some examples on my site. For straight toning it is also good. The warmtone version is not very good for the bleach-back technique, but tones quite well.
    That's good to know - I'm going to purchase a few boxes of different papers, and this is one thing I'm going to evaluate. I use bleach quite often, and I'd probably be lost without it
    Cheers!

-klm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin