Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,900   Online: 936

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

2 lith-developer questions...

After having stocked up on Forte Polywarmtone, I quite like the feeling of 'full larders". Now I would like to buy lith developer in bigger volumes. I would like to know how long unmixed concentrates are likely to last in opened canisters and which brand is the most durable? I would also like to know whether Maco's Superlith is more "potent"then other brands (Fotospeed, Moersch).

Thanks Jaap Jan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey, I don't know how long it will last, but night before last I cracked open some Fotospeed Lith Developer that I had not used for 2 years, and it worked great. I even spiked it with some 2 year old Old Brown that still worked. It smelled like dead fish, but it worked!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder View Post
    After having stocked up on Forte Polywarmtone, I quite like the feeling of 'full larders". Now I would like to buy lith developer in bigger volumes. I would like to know how long unmixed concentrates are likely to last in opened canisters and which brand is the most durable? I would also like to know whether Maco's Superlith is more "potent"then other brands (Fotospeed, Moersch).

Thanks Jaap Jan
    Maco and Fotospeed lith devs seem to have an extremely long shelf life - in Fotospeed's case well past (years) the use-by date. Moersch (formaldehyde free) lith developers have a fairly short shelf life though.
    Tim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I would also say that they both last quite a while in the dish as well. I routinely get 8 hours of use out of a 1+6 to a 1+12 bath of Macolith developer.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tim,
    What do you call a "fairly short" shelf life? Are we still talking about a year or more, or only months? Would like to know this for unopened bottles.

Thanks.
    Anne Marieke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Annemarieke View Post
    Tim,
    What do you call a "fairly short" shelf life? Are we still talking about a year or more, or only months? Would like to know this for unopened bottles.

Thanks.
    Anne Marieke
    I haven't measured it of course but I would say under a year - shorter once opened.
    Tim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for your answer, Tim.

Anne Marieke

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks from me aswell Tim.

Jaap Jan

P.S. How is the book selling?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Moersch lith shelf life

I just tried some Moersch lith today. By coincidence, I opened the bottle for the first time exactly one year ago (Jan 20, 2006). Today the bottle is half full. The capacity appears to be fine, using Forte PWT paper and 1:1:10 (A:B:water).

This doesn't mean the Moersch shelf life is as long as the other developers. However, at least for me, even in opened bottles it's not that bad....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That is not bad either Mark,
    Do you have some results already?

Jaap Jan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin