Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,471   Posts: 1,644,179   Online: 1046

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have been using Clayt on F76+ (1:19) for 4x5 TXP320. When I did the film test described on the View Camera website, I get an EI of 400. This was my first film test so it is quite likely that I hosed it up. In any case I like the negatives I get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I always dev 320TXP in HC-110 dilution D. I think I use 6 minutes in the Jobo...
    Brad, really?! I process my TXP sheets in Jobo tanks and worried that HC110 might be too potent for the constant agitation. What speed are you shooting your film, with that recipe? I might have to try it.

As for me, I process TXP sheets in Rodinal. I expose at EI 160 (and err on the side of overexposure when metering), presoak for a few minutes, and soup in a 1:50 Rodinal solution for 12-13 minutes at 68F. Works every time.

Sanders

Shooter
    35mm
    I think sticking to D76 is your best option.

If you are going to make a departure, then make it a big departure- you might try a Pyro developer. I have had very fine results with pyrocat and TXP320. I haven't tried any of the other pyro developers with it, but I would expect good results. Once you hit sheet film size the benefits of pyro become tangible, so its worth giving a try, if you feel you want to branch out, to see if it floats your boat.
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is TX400 regular Tri-x? When was it available in sheet film? I have only heard of Tri-x 320 available in sheets. I use PMK or Pyrocat for 320TXP. My theory is that the highlight contrast problem on VC paper caused by the stain color is balanced out by the steep highlight curve of 320TXP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Rodinal, 1:25 or 1:50

I recently did some semi stand developement with this film, you get some really cool effects and plenty of contrast. Since its 4x5 the grain really does not look bad either.

Jamie
    [B]Keep Film Alive, Shoot Everyday!
    Impossible Project Rocks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't delved too much into 4x5, but the attached shot was my typical Tri-X 320 in Tmax dev. It's all I use for medium format as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails supersoph.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are many good developers for TXP.

If you want to keep it simple, there's nothing wrong with D-76 or Xtol.

I like ABC pyro (bigger negs) or PMK (smaller negs) usually.

I don't know when Tri-X 400 last came in sheet sizes, but it was a long time ago. The current TXP sheet film replaces TXT sheet film, which was a 320 speed sheet film made alongside TXP (320) rollfilm, and TX (400) in 35mm and rollfilm sizes.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drpsilver View Post
    17 Jan 2007

I was sorry to see TX400 disappear in 4x5. In order to find a repacement I have tried some TXP320. I find that they are indeed VERY different films. I have two questions.

1. I have developed TXP320 in D76(1:1) and Perceptol (1:1) with unsatisfactory results. I have rated the film at EI200 and EI160 respectively (from film testing experiments), and the overall density of the negatives looks good. The problem is that when I print them everyting looks flat by 1 to 1.5 paper grades. Can anyone suggest a developer that might give me a greater gamma without "blocking-up" the highlights?

2. Should I abandon this film and look for another? If so, what would you suggest?

Regards,
    Darwin
    How exactly did you conduct your test? eg: exposure, processing technique/method(s) and how you arrived at your E.I. figures.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    I always dev 320TXP in HC-110 dilution D. I think I use 6 minutes in the Jobo...
    Brad, really?! I process my TXP sheets in Jobo tanks and worried that HC110 might be too potent for the constant agitation. What speed are you shooting your film, with that recipe? I might have to try it.

Sanders
    Sanders,
    Yep....I didn't know any better when I first started with sheet film so...I gave it a shot. The Kodak data sheet for Tri-X (both flavors), does have a whole bunch of data for processing Tri-X in rotary tubes (see page 6 and page 15 of Kodak Tech pub F-4017).

I use HC-110 dil D (1+39 from the north american concentrate) at 20 degrees C with continuous rotational agitation for something like 5 to 6 minutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin