Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,656   Online: 1107

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Barlow View Post
    I have a stainless steel tank that will hold 2 120 reels but leaves enough space for an additional 35mm reel plus another 1/2 inch or so.

When I am processing 2 120 rolls I fill the space with an empty 35mm reel and a plastic disk to keep the reels from moving when I agitate by inversion.

So the question, is the right amount of solution 1) to cover just the 120 reels and leave more than 2 inches of air space or 2) fill the tank and leave some space at the top to allow the solution move around?

Thanks

Todd
    I've always filled my tanks to the brim (for 35mm and 120, and even when I used an HP Combi Tank for 4x5) and I've never had any problems with uneven development or air bubbles, etc. I always fill the tank with reels--loaded or unloaded, and pour in at least the tank's liquid capacity of developer. Usually the developer overflows, as I use highly diluted HC110 and Rodinal. Works for me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One of the problems with filling the tank to capacity is that there is not enough air space to create flow during agitation. There should be *some* space for the solution to move so that there is an exchange of 'fresh' developer for 'old' developer at the surface of the film. In all cases it is my opinion that if your system works for you, stick with it - unless of course you like to experiment.

- Randy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin