Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,732   Online: 881

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How long will my D-23 last?

I mixed up 3 gallons D-23 about 2 months ago and it is in a large tank with a floating lid and cover. I only developed about 6 sheets of 8x10 in it so capacity wise I know it is good. I am unsure if I should mix up another batch or use this one. Any ideas?

Dave M
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.
    Carl Sandburg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Run a test neg through the developer. I'd use a test neg exposed to a 21 step Stouffer step wedge or a sensitometer.

Kodak says that D-23 should be discarded after about 100 rolls (8000 sq inches) of film have been developed per gallon of D-23.

The life of D-23 can be extended by using Kodak Replenisher DK-25R. Add the replenisher at the rate of 6 gallons per 1000 rolls processed.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak Replenisher DK-25R

For use with Kodak Developers D-23 and D-25

From the Kodak Data book on FORMULAS AND PROCESSING, 3rd Edition, 1946

Water, about 125F 750ml
    Elon (Metol) 10.0 grams
    Sodium Sulfite, anhydrous 100.0 grams
    Kodalk (Sodium Metaborate) 20.0 grams
    Cold water to make 1.0 liter

dissolve chemicals in order given
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    as soon as I finish mixing up chemicals I decant to liter glass bottles, then the chemicals should last at least 5 to 6 months. I've been refining my procedures of late but adding marbles etc..

Regards.

Mich

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    as easy as D-23 is to make I would just make it up right before I needed it.

lee\c

Images
    With replenishment, I used to use it a long time, but I filtered it before every use as silver particles would build up and then become embedded in my emulson. Bad.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd really love to have the luxury of processing sheets in deep tanks. But, anyway....I've had a liter bottle of D-23 last 6 months easily. That's without replenishment. I keep a running tally of the number of films / sheets processed and adjust the time accordingly. Like loose gravel, I found out the hard way that it must (!) be filtered before each use though. In deep tanks, I would think that it ought to be fine after only two months. As has already been suggested, shoot a couple of frames of small format and process them in the tank to verify that all is well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin