Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,510   Online: 772

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

T-Max or Rodinal for T-Max Film

Hi All,

I've been using T-Max developer to develop T-Max 100 ISO film. However, I was speaking with someone and they suggested Rodinal at 1:50 dilution would get me better tonal range and minimal grain (e.g. little to no visible grain). The goal is to minimize grain and ensure I get the good tonal range.

The question is...

Should I stick with T-Max developer or would Rodinal allow me to obtain the results I'm looking for?
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used Rodinal and TMax before with good results. But I LIKE grain!

I don't shoot portraiture, where grain would be an issue...

You may want to look elsewhere if you want to lessen grain....
    Fixer scented Glade; for those that just can't leave the darkroom.

Shooter
    35mm

D-76 for T-Max

I find that D-76 straight is best, not the 1:1 dilution for T-Max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Hi All,

I've been using T-Max developer to develop T-Max 100 ISO film. However, I was speaking with someone and they suggested Rodinal at 1:50 dilution would get me better tonal range and minimal grain (e.g. little to no visible grain). The goal is to minimize grain and ensure I get the good tonal range.

The question is...

Should I stick with T-Max developer or would Rodinal allow me to obtain the results I'm looking for?
    XTOL or T-MAX developer will produce excellent negs that print easily, but you need to be assiduos with your processing technique with this film regardless of which developer you choose.

As for Rodinal with T-Max 100 - why bother with T-Max 100 with that developer.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I really like T-Max and Rodinal 1:50 and 1:75 dilution. I didn't especially care for T-Max and T-Max developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For years I tried to coax good images out of T-grained films, mostly using T-Max 100 and T-Max dev. and I could never get what I wanted. I went back to traditional grained films.

However, the best T-Max negs I ever got were souped in Rodinal. Yes, Rodinal shows all the grain, but T-Max 100 is pretty grainless, so you should come out in the middle with, IMHO, a lot more tonality than T-Max dev can give you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Snapshot,

There is no magic bullet, but looking for one can be fun. While you are looking, keep in mind that beautiful photos have been made with every combination of well known film and developer.

Neal Wydra

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Hi All,

The question is...

Xtol
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, considering that Rodinal is cheap and so is film (relatively speaking) I could experiment. Sounds like Rodinal is worth a try and if I don't like it for T-Max I can use it with Tri-X or the other Ilford films that I use.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Anthony
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin