Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,327   Online: 967

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would like to add to my previous information.

In the formulas I have Brovira is an ammonia digest emulsion and Portriga is not. In addition, they were coated on different supports.

They are both AgCl/Br/I although Portriga appears to be a 'converted' emulsion. This would serve somewhat to substitute for the ammonia digest in Brovira in changing crystal habit.

In my work, both ammonia digest and straight emulsions with no ammonia give rather similar tone in the developed silver, but the curve shape is different and the speeds are different.

PE

Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    And yet..the "look" of the prints are radically different between Portriga and Brovira of the same period..also the keeping and ageing qualities are different. The unexposed Portriga keeps better over the years. I have boxes of Portriga and Brovira purchased together, kept together, probably late 1970's, and the Portriga is just fine (a little Liquid Orthazite in the developer to minimize age fog), but the Brovira does not seem to be generally salvagable.
    Strangely enough I have 30 year old Brovira with no fog, my Portriga is mostly a bit newer but I suspect Ron is correct and if Portriga was compared with the same surface in Brovira they would be very similar other than the colour.
    I don't worry too much about fog these days, I just use it up for lith prints where the fog often just doesn't show up or else as a lovely pink.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I have been using up my very very old stash of Agfa Portriga Rapid, and I was wondering what current enlarging paper (graded or multigrade) comes closest to giving the same "look" and "depth"?
    I`m not aware of a direct substitute from another manufacturer in terms of graded papers, but I have found Ilford Multigrade Warmtone FB in semi-matte to be an excellent paper for portraiture for which Portriga was popular for.
    Multigrade Warmtome semi-matte also tones very well and is a suitable surface for hand colouring.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As well as the Forte PW and Ilford WT, ADOX fineprint would also be worth a look.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Old thread, I know. Would anyone be able to tell me how I might check the date of a pack of Portriga Rapid? I've got access to some old-looking stuff but don't recall seeing any such markings on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a relatively new paper out distributed through Freestyle. The Slavich line has some interesting WT chlorobromide graded paper that is supposed to look and behave like papers of the 70's. It has high silver content and a silky eggshell finish, not unlike portriga. I have ordered some as the price is unbelieveable from Freestyle. $15 and change for a 25 sheet 8x10 pack. It's called Bromoportrait 80. It's also Double weight unlike the colder tone and unibrom variants that are single weight.

There has been a few threads on Slavich paper and apparently it is a sleeper paper, but the reputation is slowly getting out. It could well be the best deal out there. Reports say it bahaves similar to Forte's older polywarmtone. (Which is a positive step!)

I am going to try some with lith when my package arrives next week.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The packaging of the early 80s portriga had blue stripes on the lable. I think it was 2 blue stripes. When they "new and improved" the paper in the mid 80s they changed the lable. I think there was an older lable in the 70s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Suppose the only way to find out is just to fog test the stuff. The packaging looks old but I don't recall seeing any blue stripes. I'll have another look. It's grade 3. Drool.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbloom View Post
    Suppose the only way to find out is just to fog test the stuff. The packaging looks old but I don't recall seeing any blue stripes. I'll have another look. It's grade 3. Drool.
    Max,

Describe what the label looks like, dark blue or sky blue, if sky blue does it have any black and orange markings with in label?
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The really old paper [pre 80s IIRC] has little Agfa logos printed on the back of every sheet.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin