Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,048   Online: 762

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You may be receiving a lot of rolls of film :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    In 1969 there was a photo equip. sale flyer that came to my house from the east coast. Sorry I can't remember who sent it. I bought many 100' rolls of Superior 4 to re-spool in my Watson bulk film loader. It shot just fine at ASA 200, developed in D-76 for 8minutes at 68 degrees F. Didn't have a lot of money then and the Superior 4 was very inexpensive. The guy from the local camera shop, said it was probably cut from bulk motion picture film. He said that was a bad thing, because an occasional frame with a surface defect in a motion picture was allowed, but a defect could cost us single frame still photo guys the "picture of a lifetime." No big deal, I shot everything in at least three bracketed exposures. I never found a defect in several thousand frames. I say "shoot it" and then look for more if you like it.

Shooter
    35mm
    From the label it is Military surplus. from your results it must have spent part of the last 50 years under refrigeration.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Medium Format

Its all gone !!!

Yup, used the last of it a while ago. I now working on a 400' roll of Kodak 5222. This stuff is the kitty's wiskers! Do Kodak a BIG favor and buy some! Only $140 for 400 feet. It's not had to pull off a good chunk of it in the darkroom and fill the bulk loader and work from there. You can shoot at indexes from 25 to 6400 (the range of my test camera) and have nice printable negs on the same roll. Although at 6400 an extra minute in HC110/B would make it perfect. Treat it as Plus-X for developing. And for $20 bux, you can get 100' of the same stuff or Tri-x in 16mm for your sub cameras.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes 5222 is great stuff. Although I did stuff some away in 1986 and when shot recently is did prodiuce nice pictures but with a lot of base fog! I am tempted to get a fresh roll just to encourage Kodak to keep it in the line. As it stands it is Kodaks Only NEGATIVE motion B&W film, with ONLY tri-x Reversal as the only reversal film..

I am curently playing with some of the Filmtec ORWO N74 Plus. so I wonder if another 400 ft roll would be wise.

If you bought some of the "Legacy Pro" bulk, it came on a nice 100ft 35mm spool {stamped FUJI FILM} which would help in spooling off a bulk loader size roll from one of the motion stocks. (delux way is a 35mm split reel and a set of rewinds.)

As far as Motion film and surplus film. when I started out in the late 60s every copy of Popular photography had a nice fine print add filled with all sorts of film - mostly "Outdated but fully guaranteed" Much of it was military surplus and movie stock. The company is still arround and now sells factory fresh film as a popular APUG advertiser called Freestyle.

As far as defects, Any defect would show as a annoying flash magnified 500X if it was on a movie neg. so if anything Movie stock has tighter tolerances. ALthough there are "short ends" which are the "rest of the roll" after a shot in taken, which are sold to low budget productions, they may have some fog in the first few feet, but lately most to sale are ECN type colour negative which is a challenge to process at home.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca

Shooter
    35mm
    To buy a fresh roll of 5222 you call Phone:-800-621-FILM (3456) in the US or Canada. USA residents can find it in the "Kodak Store" at http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...oryID.55766300 The 400ft roll is $140.76 US plus shipping.

if you want to play with the Orwo, it is at http://www.orwona.com/ they want 152.61 for 400 ft of 400 ISO but they will sell a 100ft roll for about 41.97
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin