Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,929   Posts: 1,556,839   Online: 811

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7x5" paper

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    In asking this question I take it that you are referring to why a 35mm neg which is 1.5 times as long as it is high isn't replicated in paper size. It's a good question in my opinion.pentaxuser

Some time back in the 1980s, the standard 10" x 8" enlargement available from high street stores became 10" x 7". Although I jumped on the dreaded metrication, a friend who worked in such a shop at the time told me that this suited the processing labs very well because the aspect ratio being closer to 2:3 meant that they didn't have to "lose" part of the "cussy's" image off the ends of a 10" x 8", with the subsequent whinges and returns.

"Cussys" were standard customers who came in, said what they wanted (nothing too difficult), paid the money and went on their way. Other names (usually beginning with "B") were applied to those who made my pal and his colleagues dig through the shelf for the film with the longest expiry date or spent half the day fiddling with Nikons before buying a secondhand Zenit!

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    ajuk. As you will have seen from the various replies, this is not an item that exercises a lot of folk, unlike you and me. I just find it strange that as 5 x 7.5 gives a print that cover the whole neg then no-one has tried to market such a size of paper. Yes I understand the argument that 35mm isn't the only format but most mini-labs process and print 35mm negs.

However I have to conclude that if you and I are the extent of customer demand for 5x7.5 paper then we are a very small market and unlikely to be taken much notice of.

C'est la vie

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I came to realise a while ago that photography is just incredibly quirky.
    But you can always cut your own to size though, my guess is the demand just wasn't there. People are willing to compromise a little if it means less messing around.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of this is probably fallout from "standards" that developed independently at different times and places. I remember being thrilled back in the late 1970s (?) when some local processors began offering 8 x 12 color prints in additon to 8 x 10 -- at last, 35 mm frames uncropped!

On a trip to Italy in 2002, my wife took many shots with her APS camera in the mode that typically winds up as 4 x 7 prints. I thought they were pretty cool until I started trying to find albums they would fit in. Pages for 4 x 6 were everywhere, but 4 x 7 was quite rare, though I finally did come up with some.

DaveT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin