Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,456   Posts: 1,597,335   Online: 1278

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

WTF? Whats turning my TF4 orange?

Okay, so I just got my new to me Unicolor drums for doing 8x10, so I can stop being a bat. I also just got some WD2D+ to try from PF and thought I'd give'em a try together, and yes I've heard it doesn't like tubes, and I have heard from others that it's fine. (In my case here's what happened- J&C 100, WD2D+, 1:1:50 250ml, 8 min on reversing motor, developer came out very oxidized as expected, 250ml water stop (3 water changes the second time as my initial thought was that developer was somehow carrying through to the fix), then 250ml TF4 fix for 2 min. When I poured the fixer out it looked like HC110. It still smells the same, and checks good, except it is orange. WTF? Is this normal with WD2D? The negs are very nice- no streaks or other rollo problems, and appear to have good stain and densities appropriate to a pyro neg, assuming they are properly fixed.
    I have accomplished this twice in a row now, so its not a fluke. Does this developer need a different fixer? Does it mean nothing?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by JBrunner; 01-31-2007 at 12:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use pyrocat-hd and my TF4 usually comes out pinkish. I suspect it is something in the local water as I use tap water, but it doesn't seem to affect anything as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I did one more, ran allot of water through during the stop, and made absolutely sure no developer was carrying through, and the fix still turned orange, so it is a reaction to fixing the film. Hmmm.... I'm gonna shoot a neg tomorrow and tray develop it, and see if this happens.

The first neg of the batch is dry, so here is a quick scan... looks good, to me anyway...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails arch1.jpg  
    Last edited by JBrunner; 01-30-2007 at 11:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The orange is the stain from the Gallol that is in the emulsion when it is fixed. It is normal and is not a problem.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the responses guys. Is this exclusive to WD2D? Roll processing with any Pyrogallol? It doesn't happen when I tray process with PMK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Well, I did one more, ran allot of water through during the stop, and made absolutely sure no developer was carrying through, and the fix still turned orange, so it is a reaction to fixing the film. Hmmm.... I'm gonna shoot a neg tomorrow and tray develop it, and see if this happens.

The first neg of the batch is dry, so here is a quick scan... looks good, to me anyway...
    Good? it looks sweet as hell!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I do Wd2d myself. I use a water rinse several times for a stop, then I use Kodak Rapid Fix without the hardener. My fixer gets yelloish also. Doesn't seem to effect the performance of the fixer at all, or its life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the responses guys. Is this exclusive to WD2D? Roll processing with any Pyrogallol? It doesn't happen when I tray process with PMK.
    It's not exclusive to to Pyrogallol, some folks have seen orange TF-4 following print development in amidol.

“I had a small amount of TF4 fixer initially and that was a bust as the print and solution immediately went orange/yellow along with the print. I mixed up some Kodak fixer and all was fine from that point forward.”

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/az...GID=9969&CID=5
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    That is a gorgeous image.

Shooter
    35mm
    ...developer came out very oxidized as expected...
    What does WD2D+ look like when it's oxidized?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin