Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,171   Online: 720

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Ilford Matte Fiber Paper Streaks.

Hi APUG users, I am new to these forums and figured that now is a good time to start posting. I have a niche for film.

Anyway, I am having an issue with my Ilford Matte BW paper. It seems to streak in one direction (horizontally, landscape). I did notice my contact sheet dried and the streaks went away, but the prints I just did have these disernable streak marks and it looks like crap. Although I am really enjoying the look of the prints, the streaks are an eye sore. Anyone have any insight to this (I am not the only one, a few other students in my college have the same issue).

DKT

how are you processing them?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It sounds like stray light from a nearby enlarger is fogging your prints. I know that working in a gang darkroom is *far* from ideal as the person next to you always seems to want to insert their negatives while the enlarger is on, or they forget to close the filter tray, etc... If you could post an example it might help us troubleshoot with you.

- Randy

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "Streaks" is a very diffuse term, almost as bad as "steaks". So I'm afraid we'll need a little more information: Do the streaks go all the way from edge to edge? If you expose a paper to uniform light (turn on the overhead light and give it a zone V exposure) does it still show the same streaks? If it does that, I'm sure Ilford will replace your paper. Eliminating a manufacturing defect is a very good idea at this stage!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear jeffreyfina,

Could you post an example?

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Jeffreyfina, and welcome

May I ask, are the streaks like a mottled effect, amost in a slight visable honeycombe pattern?, and what grade are you printing at?

Regards

Stoo

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the quick responses.

As for the processing, I am using the basic chemicals (developer, stop bath, fixer, fixer remover, water wash).

I appologize for the bland terms. When I get back home from college ill take a picture of the image(s) in question. Keep posted I am very happy about the quick responses. Found a new learning forum!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Jeffreyfina,

Firstly I am sorry you ( and others ) seem to be having ' difficulties ' with one of our products, what you need to do please, is to give the exact description of the paper from the box end and its batch number, you can PM me, I would also suggest you follow Ole's suggestion, to me it does not seem from the description a typical fault that could happen in manufacture ( but you never know ) if it is we will of course replace it.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have experianced a student who dryed an inproperly washed print through a roller type dryer and contaminated the rollers with fix, we all had streaky prints for the next couple of sesions untill the wet prints cleaned the rollers.
    One of the problems of a group darkroom, of course no one would admit they had done it when half a box of paper was in the bin.
    Regards Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds a bit like exhausted developer or insufficient agitation, but it's impossible to say at this point so I'll just add my voice to: "more info please, preferably a scan" and to Ole's suggestion to fog a sheet to a light grey and see what you get after processing. Check that it's not on the negative rather than the paper as it also sounds a bit like bromide drag.

Good luck, Bob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin