Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,665   Online: 922

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone really mix the stock solution? In 29 years of using HC110, I never have. I use the concentrate at 1:31.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i use 1:119 with 4x5 foma100 and Fp4+ for 18 min. agitation every 3rd min. this works beautifully. try the same with roll film. agitate ever 3rd. i have also just begun to use 1:63 dilution with tmax 100. so far the results are good. i am still getting used to it. cheers

eddie
    Last edited by eddie gunks; 02-04-2007 at 04:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Does anyone really mix the stock solution? In 29 years of using HC110, I never have. I use the concentrate at 1:31.
    I decant 16 oz of concentrate into eight glass bottles - 2 oz each. I then mix 2 ounces of concentrate with 14 oz of water to make a 16 oz batch of half strength stock, and dilute from there (usually dilution H).

The 16 oz fits nicely in an empty HC110 bottle. I am reasonably confident in my ability to accurately measure 2 oz (of the very viscous syrup), and less confident in my ability to accurately measure smaller quantities.

The 16 oz of (half strength) stock is generally enough to develop eight 120 rolls - which is appropriate for my usual volumes.

Matt

P.S. - I use ounces, despite preferring metric measures, because that is how the HC110 is packaged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just tried the 1:119 dilution with TriX roll film. I like mixing at that dilution but it's too soon to tell how they turned out. Could use a bit more contrast, but I can work on that.

Thanks, all for your tips, suggestions, links etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    I just tried the 1:119 dilution with TriX roll film. I like mixing at that dilution but it's too soon to tell how they turned out. Could use a bit more contrast, but I can work on that.

Thanks, all for your tips, suggestions, links etc.
    what time and temp did you use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't have to make up the entire bottle of syrup into stock solution. I usually make just 8 oz. batches of stock at a time.

In terms of working with the higher dilutions, the easiest way to make a working solution directly from the syrup is to make up a quart of working solution H (1:63, twice as dilute at dil. B). To do that, you just pour in 1/2 oz. of syrup on top of 31.5 oz. of water.

Of course, you would wait till you have two rolls of 120 or four rolls of 35mm to develop to do it this way.

I really prefer just making up 8 oz. of stock at a time. Mix that 1:15 with water to get dilution H.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Use a medicine syringe for making dilutions. I have found a syringe in the drug store that has a plunger using the polyethylene as the stopper, not an extra rubber stopper piece. This works very well and I don't have problems with the rubber binding up over time. The syringe is with some pill boxes, thermometers, and other such 'stock' medicine supplies on the shelves. Or ask the pharmacist for a syringe.

I decant the stock into 4 ounce glass bottles (funnel needed), then a working 2 ounce HDPE bottle with a wide mouth, made by Nalgene. The wide mouth accepts the syringe without any need for tilting or otherwise making a mess with the included reducing bushing. I measure, squirt into the water, then pull water back in and flush the syringe with the developing solution to dissolve the syrup. Then be sure to stir the developing water, as the syrup can go to the bottom and not get mixed in well.

I use HC-110 at 1:100 dilution with 120 Fuji Neopan Acros 100. Love it. 10 minutes, 20C, agitate 6x every minute. My other film standard is TMax 400 developed in Rodinal at 1:50, 8 minutes, both 35mm and 120 sizes. I tried HC-110 on 35mm and found things way too soft for my taste. All in all, with some adjustments (in... dare I say? scanning and PS), I can go from the TMax-Rodinal combo and the Acros-HC110 combo without gross differences in look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dilution A is 1 part concentrate plus 15 parts water. Dilution B is 1+31, Dilution C is 1+19, Dilution D is 1+39, Dilution E is 1+47 and Dilution F is 1+79.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholer View Post
    Dilution A is 1 part concentrate plus 15 parts water. Dilution B is 1+31, Dilution C is 1+19, Dilution D is 1+39, Dilution E is 1+47 and Dilution F is 1+79.
    So funny this old thread just popped up today. I just this afternoon bought a fresh bottle of HC-110 and decided I would run a test on some HP5 to tighten up my processing. Well, I managed to get my mL and Oz mixed up, and let's just say that film was BLANK! Wow. Almost 20 years in photography and I've never screwed one up like that. Fortunately, it was just a Zone test, so no biggie.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to mix up the stock solution all the time when there were several of us running film most every day. I now mix directly from the syrup per Covington. I've had open bottles of the syrup last and last. I once found a partially used bottle which had fallen off the back of the shelf ages ago it seemed. I ran a quick test and found it was fine. My favorite developer for FP4 and for HP5 when I want to see grain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin