Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,131   Online: 891

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

HC110 from concentrate

I'm looking for a recipe for using HC110 at high dilutions from concentrate for roll film (plusX, triX) or 35mm. I don't develop enough to use up the working solution which only lasts 6 months. I've used Tmax developer which is easy, but wanted to try HC110 for its (supposed) compensating effects. I use Rodinal for sheet film, and am looking for similar results with HC110 for roll film. With sheet film I stand develop. That doesn't seem to work with roll film or 35mm. Has anyone tried HC110 1:50 to 1:100 from concentrate or something close?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's easy enough to do the math to find the dilution factors for HC110. Kodak lists the factors to make a working dilution from stock, merely multiply that by the factor it takes to mix the stock from the concentrate, which if I remember right is 1 part concentrate to 3 parts water though you better check me on that. I think there may be previous threads on the subject so use the search function and see what comes up.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out:http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

You won't find many similarities between HC-110 and Rodinal. Yes, they are both liquid and you can whatever dilution you wish, but HC-110 is a general purpose, solvent developer, while Rodinal is not. They are pretty much opposites.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Long time APUG subscriber Bob Fowler posted a comprehensive HC-110 dilution chart sometime ago. Check the link in the first post in this thread...or, go straight to the HC-110 dilution page on Bob's site.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Oh, as far as results....HC-110 is a wonderful developer. I use dilution d (1:40) all the time. However, to my eye the results are nothing like what you get from Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ansel Adams has notes on using HC-110 for compensation effects at dilution G (1+119 from concentrate) with reduced agitation in his chapter on value control in processing in The Negative. He used Tri-X Professional roll film in his example. He used the same techniques to bring Tech Pan down to N-4 relative to it's naturally high gamma.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 02-03-2007 at 12:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have used with good results (with 120 film, Tri-X and Plus-X) HC-110 diluted 1:119 from concentrate. I believe AA diluted stock solution 1:31 to achieve a compensating effect. The key to the compesating effect is the appropriate reduction in agitation from the normal interval, as elluded to earlier I believe.

Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for your tips & suggestions. I look forward to experimenting.

cheers.....

Dorothy

Shooter
    Medium Format

HC-110

I have used HC-110 at 1:50 dilution with 35mm Tmax 400 for years. It was my standard. With a cold light enlarger my typical time was 7 minutes at 68 degrees

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The covington innovations dude has it *down* for how to use HC-110. I use a syringe and a bottle-top-with-a-hole-in-it and keep it in concentrate form and it works great.

I need to screw around more with dillutions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin