Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,299   Online: 897

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Washing before selenum toning?

Before I have always picked out dry prints, soaked them and then toned them in selenum. But now I want to be a bit more efficient and tone the prints at the same session as printing.

Would this procedure work?

During the printing:
    I make a quite short fix
    Transfer the print to a water tray for a minute
    Transfer the print to a new water tray for storage.

After the session:
    Make fresh fixer and refix all prints a second time.
    Quickly wash the prints in water.
    Selenum tone
    Wash for 60 mins.

So, the question is: do I need a long wash before toning?

/matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matti -

There is a well known problem with staining with selenium toner. I know that Ansel Adams recommended a process similar to what you are suggesting, but my experience has been that I get serious staining if I put a print into the toner without first having processed it for several minutes in hypoclear.

I suggest modifying your after-session process as follows:

Refix in fresh fixer
    Rinse in plain water
    Hypoclear for a minimum of three minutes. Do not discard the hypoclear.
    Selenium tone
    Back to the hypoclear for another minute. Discard after this step.
    Wash.

And I would wash the prints by soaking them in trays of plain water. Each soak would be at least 5 minutes, with the prints transferred one-at a-time to another tray of water, and then repeating this process 5-6 times.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post

So, the question is: do I need a long wash before toning?
    I don't usually process a lot of prints at once, but I do tone after a 60' wash and then wash the toned prints for an additonal 30'. I've never experienced any staining or other degradation.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Matti

I fix the prints as normal then wash in an archival washer for 40 minutes before toning. After toning I was them again for 30 minutes. This seems to work fine.

Barry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One of my darkroom revelations bifAPUG (before I found APUG) was to remember Ansel writing that selenium toner requires an alkaline environment, and it came to me that I could go dev, water stop, first TF-4 (alkaline fix), second TF-4, then straight into selenium toner in water, water rinse, holding tray, then wash.

Now I use TF-3, a home made alkaline fix, but use the same sequence. The beauty of this is that I can even selenium tone test strips if I want to, or have a fully toned work print in my hands in around 8.5 minutes...a BIG plus considering how selenium can change the final look of a print.

Release the hounds!

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    One of my darkroom revelations bifAPUG (before I found APUG) was to remember Ansel writing that selenium toner requires an alkaline environment, and it came to me that I could go dev, water stop, first TF-4 (alkaline fix), second TF-4, then straight into selenium toner in water, water rinse, holding tray, then wash.

Now I use TF-3, a home made alkaline fix, but use the same sequence. The beauty of this is that I can even selenium tone test strips if I want to, or have a fully toned work print in my hands in around 8.5 minutes...a BIG plus considering how selenium can change the final look of a print.

Release the hounds!

Murray
    Murray (that's my dad's name...can count the Murray's I've met in my life on one hand), do you use any stop bath between dev and TF-3/4? A water rinse?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'll echo what Murray said. I use TF-4 and go straight into the selenium and have not seen any stains in my prints.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Murray (that's my dad's name...can count the Murray's I've met in my life on one hand), do you use any stop bath between dev and TF-3/4? A water rinse?
    You don't want to use an acidic stop between the alkaline developer and alkaline fix. The reason you would (possibly) get a stain with selenium is due to the acidic pH of the fix. Use a water rinse after the developer for 60s in running water and then straight into the fix.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    ...do you use any stop bath between dev and TF-3/4? A water rinse?
    Yup, a 30 second rinse with lots of agitation. While it probably doesn't 'stop' development like an acid stop bath would, if procedures are consistant it woudn't matter in the end anyways.

Murray

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin