Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,977   Online: 806

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Split grade filter choices for cold light heads

In the June 1995 issue of Darkroom Photography, Joe Englander, describing procedures for split filter printing recommends yellow/magenta filtration for dichroic/condenser heads and blue/green filtration for cold light heads.

Do any here that use a cold light head and do split grade printing use the blue/green filters? Does it matter if one has already color corrected the lamp with a 40YCC filter?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I bought an old Aristo cold light head from someone here at APUG just to try out cold light printing. I presume it is the old style bulb, and I have not corrected it with the yellow filter. I split grade print with blue and green filters successfully. I am on Aristo's wait list for a new head that will have the corrected bulb, and am interested to see how the blue/green times will change.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use blue and green the proper filter numbers are the Wratten Blue 47b and the Green 58 filters. Those filters will match the Aristo VCL 4500 two color heads. The newest one color head from Aristo is a V54 and you dont have to use the 40y filter for VC papers. The filters will work properly with the V54 light source.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    In the June 1995 issue of Darkroom Photography, Joe Englander, describing procedures for split filter printing recommends yellow/magenta filtration for dichroic/condenser heads and blue/green filtration for cold light heads.

Do any here that use a cold light head and do split grade printing use the blue/green filters? Does it matter if one has already color corrected the lamp with a 40YCC filter?
    AFAIK the CC40Y filter is for cold light heads that are designed to give blue light only (for graded papers). Mine is such a one, and I get normal contrast with MG filters, so I guess that would mean no problems in split-filtering, but I don't use that technique myself.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm thinking that whether I switch to the V54 lamp or not, I should give the blue/green system a try.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    I use blue and green the proper filter numbers are the Wratten Blue 47b and the Green 58 filters. Those filters will match the Aristo VCL 4500 two color heads. The newest one color head from Aristo is a V54 and you dont have to use the 40y filter for VC papers. The filters will work properly with the V54 light source.

lee\c

I plan to make that lamp switch when my budget can absorb it. Till then I'm filtering the old lamp. Aristo told me I need the D2-HI-V54 for my Zone VI head.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The blue / green system of split printing is the "poor man's answer" to a dicro head or multicontrast cold light head. I know because I used the blue/ green system with inexpensive plastic gels myself.

I'll try and make this as short as possible. Variable contrast filters are "Subtractive" in nature, that is to say they subtract or take away certain parts of the color spectrum, all the CC 40Y filter does is bring a strong blue cold light head back to a neutral color. This to becomes another subtractive filter, in conjunction with magenta multi contrast filters you have now added two filters, which add considerable length to your printing times.

When you introduce a straight blue filter it becomes additive light, meaning you are just magnifying the intensity of the blue cold light. Blue light will maximize the contrast that the paper is capable of, yes there is density to the filter but it does not significantly increase exposure times. Likewise, with the green filter you are adding the color of light, which effects the lower contrast portion of the emulsion.

Typically, you use these filters in conjunction with one another to effect very specific contrast too more localized areas of the print. Usually, one would "set the exposure" with the blue filter and then add whatever amount of green light is necessary to provide detail and information in the highlights. It is somewhat trial and error but should quickly allow you to dial in many difficult negatives to your liking.

Lastly, I use plastic "theatre gels" made by Rosco above the negative. They are very inexpensive and easy to use. I use a deep blue #69 and medium green very similar to a #58 green filter. Total cost of a 2'x2' sheet was about $10.00 per color.
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I.....Do any here that use a cold light head and do split grade printing use the blue/green filters? Does it matter if one has already color corrected the lamp with a 40YCC filter?
    I split filter with 58/47B filters, under an Aristo T-12 with the V54 tube, and it works fine. For split filter printing, I don't think it would make any difference what color filters you use, so long as the hard filter blocks green light and the soft filter blocks blue light, or what color the light source is (V54, the W series, or tungsten). The time given for the hard and soft exposures might change, but the results would be the same.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    Lastly, I use plastic "theatre gels" made by Rosco above the negative. They are very inexpensive and easy to use. I use a deep blue #69 and medium green very similar to a #58 green filter. Total cost of a 2'x2' sheet was about $10.00 per color.
    Alas, there's no way to switch between two filters with a Beseler 45MXT that wouldn't disturb the negative between exposures so I must filter below the lens.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Alas, there's no way to switch between two filters with a Beseler 45MXT that wouldn't disturb the negative between exposures so I must filter below the lens.
    Unless of course you have modified your 45MX with a 7"x9" Aristo cold light head which now sits atop the negative carrier which has a 1/2" space between light and carrier.

Sorry, I didn't remember what the 45 used to look like.
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin