Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,674   Online: 789

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Field test of the New MACO IR 820c

Mr. Hartmuth Schroeder, CEO of MACO, was yesterday in the manufacturing plant, which is concerned with the project "RE-START of the MACO IR 820c!" The good message is: The PROTOTYPE, poured on 0.1 P.E.T. base is ready! The presently available quantity is, however, too small, that 45mm or 60mm films can be cut, unfortunately only the sheet film format 4x5" (10.2x12.7cm).

This sheet film, has due to its comparatively thin film base, the characteristics NOT to lie in optimal FLAT position. The PHOTO-CHEMICAL PARAMETERS respond to the fact, what is presently possible for an mass production. Thus, will not be changing later on! The emulsion exhibits scarcely 100 ISO, WITHOUT FILTER. However, that corresponds to the predecessor, who had, depending upon pouring, about 80 ISO.

The Nanometer range of the PROTOTYPE, begins with 300nm, evenly up to 680nm, bends then with 720nm, and impacts with 825nm.

The log sensitivity ranges between 300nm, up to 690nm at 3.25,
    with 725nm at 2.5
    with 750nm at 1.5
    at 800nm approx. at 0.75

This values differs not substantially from the old MACO IR 820c.
    The results based on lab tests, are success-promising! The quality of the P.E.T. film base, with its coating quality, with the constant production, the anti-Newton-back-coating, are parameters, which we could not even dream about it in former times. In addition to it, comes the supply security.

To the time frame: If the field test phase offered down below, is copleted positively, we may say in the middle of March 2007, than after the film pouring in May, the conversion of films in JUNE 2007, then the distribution of the finished manufactured films.

Still in time, to the European IR season.

The prices for the RE-START film, will thus, actually be clearly UNDER those of the old film. The new film has the task, to open new groups of buyers of the B&W IR photography, to be interesting also for the photographers for whom the past IR films were too expensive.

MACO, will be within 2 weeks, have cut the sheet film samples, and have them packed. MACO will provide this sheet film, for an field test to interested photographers at their disposal, asl ong this supply is sufficient. Who is interested in a test of the PROTOTYPE as SHEET FILM 4x5", please E-mail to: photo@mahn.net.

The transmittal of the samples are effected free of charge, and free of postage, and with any obligations - however - connected with the request, that the RESULTS should be returned with a short description of processing back to MACO. Who sees itself in a short term position, please may announce himself.

With kind regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for this welcome announcement and an oppertunity to try out the new film.
    Last edited by jd callow; 02-07-2007 at 01:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is up with some people here? I've recently read a number of threads where information from or about manufacturers, distributors, dealers...has been reacted to in a hostile fashion. What possible good does it do to tell all of us that someone has made your ignore list? I've used a fair amount of MACO infrared film in the past. I like it, and I hope that it'll be available again. I appreciate information regarding this, and I bet others do as well. If you don't like a thread, why not read/do something else instead of engaging in negative behavior? Our moderators have proved themselves adept at handling inappropriate posts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter it boggles the mind and I don't think it should be tolerated.

<edit> I sent my email... I'd love to try it!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    What is up with some people here? I've recently read a number of threads where information from or about manufacturers, distributors, dealers...has been reacted to in a hostile fashion. What possible good does it do to tell all of us that someone has made your ignore list? I've used a fair amount of MACO infrared film in the past. I like it, and I hope that it'll be available again. I appreciate information regarding this, and I bet others do as well. If you don't like a thread, why not read/do something else instead of engaging in negative behavior? Our moderators have proved themselves adept at handling inappropriate posts.
    Dear Peter,

I like Maco film, too. The latest I've tried the new 400CN Scanfilm. The only problem is that Maco's claims are sometimes a little over-enthusastic and on occasion downright misleading (e.g. confusing ISO and EI), and availability tends to be sporadic. Some people get pissed off at this. For example, Scanfilm is no more suitable for printing on B+W than any other colour film, except for shorter exposure times (no orange mask), and the absence of the mask really makes no difference to scanning either. Having said this, Scanfilm is the nearest you can get to the gloriously soft, grainy E6 films of old (except that it's neg, of course); the old 820c was a superb IR film; and Cube 400 was one of the best general-purpose ISO 400 films on the market. If I couldn't get HP5+ I'd have switched to Cube -- except that I'm not sure it's still available...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Roger,

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter, and I agree with you in general.

To be fair, though, I regularly find claims made by manufacturers/users/whoever to not come close to matching the results that I get. For example, I tested a number of developers purported to give Tech Pan an EI greater than 50 with normal contrast. I never got a true EI over 16.

I do understand people's frustration when things don't work out, but all too often people with axes to grind respond in a negative way to any post about a particular product or company. Take any business or product, someone, somewhere will be unhappy with it. Should they talk about their results? Absolutely, if they can do so in a reasonable way. But attempting to sabotage every announcement helps no one, especially given that dearth of good news that we have in the film community.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used MACO's IR "Aura" film in medium format and really liked the look of it with the Hoya infrared filter. It was several years ago. I still have a few rolls of left over in the freezer. I wonder if it's still good? I'll have to try it out.

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    I've used MACO's IR "Aura" film in medium format and really liked the look of it with the Hoya infrared filter. It was several years ago. I still have a few rolls of left over in the freezer. I wonder if it's still good? I'll have to try it out.
    Hi Lee,

Not sure if this helps, but I had a few rolls of the absolute first run of MACO820c, on 35 mm format (guess that was about 6 years ago, have to look it up), but these rolls completely lost their IR characteristics last year. When they were fresh they gave realy nice IR effects.

That said: last weekend I shot the last sheets of one of the first batches of MACO820C on 4*5 format, and the results were perfect.

So I guess you just have to try, but my bet is that they are still ok,

Best,

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Cor,

Thanks for the info. I too have a few rolls in the freezer, and I'll have to give them a try when the weather warms up a bit. Burr, it's cold!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, Cor, thanks. I was thinking of testing this film come springtime when there's a better chance of foilage showing the infrared effects.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin