Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,926   Online: 1097

Shooter
    Pinhole

Filter equivalence question

I am wondering if Ilfochrome colors like CP30Y, CP50Y, etc, are the same as anything else like CC's, MIRED's, etc.

I have a set I won't use for the intended purpose and wondered if it amounts to a free set of 'gel-type' filters I can use for alternative use.

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Found an answer in a Kodak doc. :

CC = color correcting
    CP = color printing

CP filters are same colors except made of acetate & not recommended for image forming (presumed to mean 'taking') if highest quality is desired.

So they're not even unique to Ilfo/Ciba process...just the name on the box.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    CP filters are same colors except made of acetate & not recommended for image forming (presumed to mean 'taking') if highest quality is desired.
    And also designed for use above the negative when printing, not below the lens or in the image forming part of the light path.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    And also designed for use above the negative when printing, not below the lens or in the image forming part of the light path.

Lee
    Clean under-the-lens filters have never caused a visible quality loss in my experience.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I agree (both of you). I had been reading about filtering light sources for other applications & am thinking about some b/w experiments with filtered flashes.

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    I agree (both of you). I had been reading about filtering light sources for other applications & am thinking about some b/w experiments with filtered flashes.

Thanks

Murray
    Murray,

They will obviously work for filtering flash. If you're going for really saturated colors/shadows, you'll probably end up wanting something like Lee or Rosco theater gels with stronger or more saturated colors than CC or CP filters. My guess is that the effect will be a little subtle unless you're just trying to color balance the flash.

I'm not surprised that high quality CP filters perform well under the lens for Ralph and others. I've seen some that wouldn't do well in that application, especially when stacked up 4-6 filters deep as some color printing might require. Unless they're Microsoft or Apple brand filters, you're probably not even violating the EULA by using them under the lens or in front of a flash.

Lee

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I was going to do some experiments with flash and a zone plate to see what it looks like with reduced-chromatic light, see if it looks more like pinhole or what happens. It was calculated w/550 nm (yellowish green I suppose).

With pinhole or zone plate I wouldn't be able to see any optical flaws :O).

They look better than many of my Series VI filters that are wrinkled now...only reason to use those is for a toy camera look I guess...
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    they don't
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin