Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,039   Online: 867

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TF4 questions

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Silver recovery should be unaffected by the ph of the fix. Not sure about your TF-4 color change but the tint of TF-4 slightly changes when fixing traditional films developed in general developers. I assume dyes are the cause.

It is normal to see a white glob in TF-4 stored for a long time. If old shelf stock, it may take a lot (100) inversions to break up the glob with additional encouragement from a stir stick. This happened twice with supplies purchased locally. My Freestyle and Photo Formulary mail orders are better in this regard taking around 20 inversions for the solution to mix within the shipped 1L container. Great stuff.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 09-23-2007 at 04:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael, is the solution cool? Liquids will take up more solids into solution when they are warmer. Might be worth setting the jug out in the sun for awhile and see if that helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    Silver recovery should be unaffected by the ph of the fix. Not sure about your TF-4 color change but the tint of TF-4 slightly changes when fixing traditional films developed in general developers. I assume dyes are the cause.

It is normal to see a white glob in TF-4 stored for a long time. If old shelf stock, it may take a lot (100) inversions to break up the glob with additional encouragement from a stir stick. This happened twice with supplies purchased locally. My Freestyle and Photo Formulary mail orders are better in this regard taking around 20 inversions for the solution to mix within the shipped 1L container. Great stuff.
    I have had the same experiences as Richard. I imagine this has to do with the Photo Formulary turning over its inventory quicker than local sources.

If the stick 'n stir method doesn't work, I'd try to heat the stock solution to 90-100 degrees farenheit and try again.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before I got back here to read the responses, I dumped the jug into a bucket and stirred hell out of it and got the lumpiness into solution and mixed my fixer. naturally I was so distracted by all this hoo-hah that I forgot to make my working solution with distilled water...so I guess I'll find out if it really stinks more that way.

I've never seen a jug of TF4 that didn't have an inch of whiteness settled on the bottom...but I'd also never seen one where 20 seconds of shaking the jug didn't distribute it through the solution before. This stuff set up like pudding.

Thanks for the input, all.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TF4 has a white precipitate that forms gradually after mixing the concentrate. I have watched the stuff made at the Formulary while taking a break from teaching a workshop there.

Although I don't know the formula, I do know that the white stuff is normal and is partially the buffer used to stabilze the pH of the fixer.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    TF4 has a white precipitate that forms gradually after mixing the concentrate. I have watched the stuff made at the Formulary while taking a break from teaching a workshop there.

Although I don't know the formula, I do know that the white stuff is normal and is partially the buffer used to stabilze the pH of the fixer.

PE

Yeah Ron, I know it's normal. Not getting it to return to solution was what was not normal.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is what is abnormal. I agree.

When diluted with the proper amount of water to make working solution, it should all dissolve leaving a clear solution. If you use tap water, which I do, the solution is not harmed. The smell should not vary as a function of tap water due to the good buffer capacity, nor should the solution have a precipitate or any gunk.

I have done a lot of work with TF4 and other fixes and never seen a permanent precipitate.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is what is abnormal. I agree.

When diluted with the proper amount of water to make working solution, it should all dissolve leaving a clear solution. If you use tap water, which I do, the solution is not harmed. The smell should not vary as a function of tap water due to the good buffer capacity, nor should the solution have a precipitate or any gunk.

I have done a lot of work with TF4 and other fixes and never seen a permanent precipitate.

PE
    Isn't it imprtant to get the white stuff into at least suspension before measuring stock to make working solution? I think I accomplished that and when mixed with water to working strength, it cleared in a few minutes as it always does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is my understanding that TF4 concentrate was not intended to be used bit by bit, but rather that the stock should be made at once from the concentrate. The keeping properties are so good, that I have had no problem with doing that.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is my understanding that TF4 concentrate was not intended to be used bit by bit, but rather that the stock should be made at once from the concentrate. The keeping properties are so good, that I have had no problem with doing that.

PE
    The instructions on the jug are explicit in their endorsement of mixing smaller quantites. ie: shake well and use one litre of stock to 3 litres of water to make 4 litres...

I can't afford to buy smaller quantities than the 4 litre jugs and I haven't the space to store 20 litres of working strength at a time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin