Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,660   Online: 976

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps a little more explanation: bleach bypass is used with materials that are normally developed to a dye-only image. It doesn't matter whether they are camera negative, interpositive, internegative or positive (=print, neg-pos) type materials, as long as they are not reversal materials.

With reversal colour materials there is an overall presence of silver before the bleach stage: the silver is there as both the original negative image and as the second positive image. If you wanted to get the bleach bypass look with colour reversal you would have to do the bleach in two stages - first bleach the silver negative image produced in the first developer (as would happen if you were doing B&W reversal) then partially bleach the positive silver image produced in the second developer.

Bleach bypass with B&W silver-image reversal processes is something that most of us who have experimented with reversal will have seen: insufficient bleaching is much like overall fog and the less bleaching the higher the fog. If you liked a very dark, slightly weird duotone look there might be some mileage in it - you can get the two images to have different tones.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the explanation Helen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just wanted to add in a note for the original poster, and others considering using DR5. Your shipping costs can make this fairly expensive compared to other ways to have film processed. Just as an example, my mail out in a FedEx envelope (Ground) cost $4.55. Shipping back to me from Denver to San Diego was $19.23, because it required a box and was sent as 2-Day Ground. So don't be shocked by shipping charges, or wait until you have many rolls to process.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    FedEx is not the only option. DR5 also can use the postal service. It's a lot cheaper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately in my situation, I was confused by the DR5 order form, and only circled FedEx Client Account. With what I understand now about that circled choice, that means a default of 2-Day FedEx. I don't mind using FedEx, and have an account, but I usually choose the slowest and least expensive method. If it had been FedEx Home Delivery, it would have been about half the cost coming back to me. What I also did not understand was DR5 had no way of knowing that I sent it by a low cost Ground through FedEx to them; meaning my assumption about them using a similar choice shipping back to me was incorrect. It is important to specify on the DR5 order form when you want lowest cost shipping. My confusion, and failure to do specify, cost me more than I expected.

Hopefully this clarification keeps someone else from making the same mistake I did. The results are unique and quite nice. I don't want to put anyone off on trying it; just be sure to fill out your order form correctly.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    Last edited by HerrBremerhaven; 02-15-2007 at 10:47 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One more question - Is there a difference between quality of results in dev 1 vs. dev 2? In other words, does one of them typically have finer grain, better resolution, etc than the other?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    Just wanted to add in a note for the original poster, and others considering using DR5. Your shipping costs can make this fairly expensive compared to other ways to have film processed. Just as an example, my mail out in a FedEx envelope (Ground) cost $4.55. Shipping back to me from Denver to San Diego was $19.23, because it required a box and was sent as 2-Day Ground. So don't be shocked by shipping charges, or wait until you have many rolls to process.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    Actually, I believe that David gives you some nice breaks on shipping when you meet a certain number of rolls in an order. Check his website for the details...

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacc7 View Post
    Actually, I believe that David gives you some nice breaks on shipping when you meet a certain number of rolls in an order. Check his website for the details...

Isaac
    Yes. Currently listed as 12 or more rolls to qualify for various free or reduced shipping.

http://www.dr5.com/shipping.html

That link has the details. The posting I made below the one you quoted might be helpful to some people for avoiding the mistakes I made in shipping.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Shipping-wise, if you're outwith the USA it might be worth saving up films and doing a 'bulk' order - I do this about 4 times a year from the UK.

I use dr5 for all my b+w work - see my APUG portfolio which has both 'neutral' and 'sepia' dr5 processing. I love the dr5 process and can't recommend it highly enough

Cheers,
    Gavin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin