Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,888   Online: 1062

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Graeme,
    I processed film for a living in baskets/10 gallon tanks and green inspection light. I've done thousands and thousands of rolls.

Sadly, I've NEVER seen anything like that. But here's my guess (this is just a guess).

I think this reel was on top of the tank. This reel was dunked in photoflo previously. The flo wasn't washed out enough. And when you put it in the tank, the top part of it had some bubbles from all the action of liquid going through (because of a small amount of flo leftover). It was enough to cling to the negs in the beginning. Even though, afterwards, the bubbles dissipated, it was enough to encourange less development in that area.

Again, this is just a guess.

One more thing to ask. Was it straight d76? Cause the development action in the beginning of straight d76 I think is much faster so if you do have a bubble somewhere, the areas around it will get faster development initially and then slow down at the end. This is why I like 1:1 and long dev times with d76

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eric, I never photoflo reels or in the tank. I remove the film and dip it by hand in photoflo after the final wash (obviously).

d-76 1+1. 12.5 minutes. 20 degrees. standard 30sec initial agitation, then 10 sec every minute after.

I load in a changing bag, which has never been a problem. Checking it now though for tears.

Well this is unfortunate. It was on the leader too...or at least 2 inches out from the first frame. First half of the rolls only. Varying in intensity from the attached samples (pretty bad) to more moderate and less noticeable (say one line of dots instead of a bunch) but still unusable.

Possibly, unlikely, a bad film...?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Graeme,

You do have a light leak (look at the film edges), but I don't think it's the problem you're referring to. While unlikely, there may be a problem with the film itself. Show the problem to Kodak. You might bet both an answer and replacment film.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear Graeme,

You do have a light leak (look at the film edges), but I don't think it's the problem you're referring to. While unlikely, there may be a problem with the film itself. Show the problem to Kodak. You might bet both an answer and replacment film.

Neal Wydra
    I get that high high (black) density most of the time I run my film, just partially here and there on the roll (as you can tell). Only on the very furthest outer edge. I think it is a processing error on my part that I've never been able to solve, b/c it happens on both my cameras.

It's never bothered me though, since it never passes the extreme film edge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just another question or two... (1) the marks are on about 10 of the 20 rolls you developed... when you developed them, were the ones with the marks all in the tank at the same time (in the same development batches)? and (2) you say the marks are on the film leader as well... is your film loaded onto the reels with the leader nearest the center or nearest the outside? For example, I load all mine with the tape end of the film at the center column...

I ask these questions because I have seen marks like this on my own developed film when I had a light leak at the center fill-spout area of the tank and the light was reflecting off of the center columns creating that tread-like pattern. If that were the case for you, then I would suspect that you load your film with the leader closest to the center and the reflected light from the leak is only bright enough to pass through a few turns of the film on the reel, hence the absence of the marks on the back end of the film...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
    Possibly, unlikely, a bad film...?
    Dang! This is a good mystery!

Someone mentioned a light leak in the center. ARe you using plastic reels and tanks? Haven't used oen in 20 years so I'm not sure how they work.

Here are some more questions (to narrow it down some more)
    1. Where in placement in the tank was this? bottom, second from bottom, second from top, top?
    2. If plastic, I *think* there are some models that come with some sort of agitation stick? Or am I wrong there?
    3. Did it happen on other rolls or just this one roll?
    4. Can you explain how you do the film? Pour dev, (or presoak), tap it a few times, agitate x amount per minute, stop, fix....etc, etc..

This is really bizarre. Can you post of positive of that scan?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The OP said he was using a stainless steel tank with a plastic lid. This is your standard darkroom item. This would have a snap-on flexible plastic pour lid, with a light seal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately I didn't keep track of where the rolls sat in the tank, nor which tank the rolls were in. I use Hewes and Nikkor reels, with 2 older no-brand reels mixed in.

I load the tape end in first, leader out at the end of the roll.

Again, it happened on a # of rolls. Maybe 10 was too high, more like 7 or 8.

Load film in changing bag
    presoak for approx 2 min
    dev (d76 1+1 12.5 min 20deg) (wbasic agitation, 30sec intial, rap on counter, then 10 sec every min followed by a rap)
    stop (30 sec in Kodak stop)
    rinse
    fix (ilford rapid)
    wash (1,5,10,20,40 inversions, then usually sit in running water for 5 min)
    photoflo (off reels)
    dry

It's all worked for me for sometime until now.

I did have a friend I sent the pics to say they looked like the effects of moving reels too him. He suggested cutting a film canister to fit in the gap btwn the reels and lid.

I appreciate all the idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good mystery indeed. These places are higher density than the surrounding areas, so, to me, they are not from developer inhibition (like the air bells, etc). They are also well defined, although the edges are soft. They also have a pattern to them. I think any fogging would be too soft and diffused for this kind of pattern, no matter the source of the fog/leak. I have also never seen anything like this in close to 50 years, processing in all kinds of conditions, some not so great.
    I'm going for some other kind of critter, like maybe a moisture/environmentally caused reaction in the emulsion (fungus?) prior to development. Is there anything in common with the offending rolls in terms of the way they were stored, etc, that is unlike the good rolls? This sounds crazy to me too, but I can't imaging a processing driven scenario that would cause these things.
    Hmm...why don't you print a couple, scan and post those? - the positive images might trigger a different response from the Sherlocks out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder if the problem might be with how the lid fits on the tank? You say that you checked the lid with a flashlight. Did you put the lit flashlight in the tank, and than invert the tank to mimic agitation?

Is the tank watertight when you agitate, or does it leak a bit?

I'd also try developing an unexposed roll of film, to see if the pattern repeats itself.

Matt

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin