Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,323   Online: 1190

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the problem is that I have never seen anything like this at all in nearly 50 years of film work with the following caveat. I have seen it a few times in basket processed film and paper. It looked just like saran net marks from the old basket process of Kodak's. Of course that was not the cause here at all.

The net could touch the center of a sheet of film or paper and leave a net mark down the bowed center that looked like that. This rarely happened. It was usually due to a damp net causing the film or paper to stick.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the F5 have a pressure plate with a patterned surface, and could the pattern of defect be mirroring that (whether caused by static, or otherwise)?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt;

Good thought. That explanation would solve the regularity of the pattern. Static electricity would be more random in my opinion. However.....

A pressure plate with a pattern that is becoming worn will do this, or a pressure plate inducing a static discharge somehow might but that is a reach.

A worn plate can induce either a pressure pattern or refelecton patterns. Since this appears between frames, I wonder if there is a pinch point or something that might make the pattern appear.

Static discharge from high spots on the pressure plate might give this sort of regular pattern.

Excellent idea.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is not a pattern on the f5 pressure plate. Nor is this one particularaly worn. There are 2 small bolts on the top + bottom of the pressure plate, midway across. They are, I think, indented ever so slightly, and are how it is attached. It looks like the sprocket holes of the film would cross these bolts.

Is it possible/likely there is something electrically "wrong" with the camera that could cause static? Something the dry weather is making worse.

I'm doing a large scan of the film now, and will post it in a few.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think these scans (3000dpi, cropped at about %100 or more) suggest static.

Upon closer inspection all of the film is much worse than I thougth. Bummer...

I still would like to find a solution to the problem. Something more convenient than grounding myself or relocating.

I appreciate all the insight and ideas. Thanks.
    Last edited by GraemeMitchell; 12-06-2008 at 08:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first one is static, but the second one IDK. Never seen before.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..like i suspected.

the 3rd image is the effect from the flash created on the front layer.
    This all likely happened while the film was being unrolled to be put on the developing spool. get yourself a small humidifier in your darkroom. That will solve this issue.

dw

www.dr5.com

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
    I think these scans (3000dpi, cropped at about %100 or more) suggest static.

Upon closer inspection all of the film is much worse than I thougth. Bummer...

I still would like to find a solution to the problem. Something more convenient than grounding myself or relocating.

I appreciate all the insight and ideas. Thanks.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin