Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,027   Online: 917

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Another, marks on film question

I'm guessing you guys will be able to tell me what these are right away, but I've ever seen them before. You'll notice it looks like someone drove a density blob pizza cutter up and down my film .

TX in d-76.

My hint is that I have a new 4 reel tank, and I'm guessing it's the culprit. B/c some rolls were fine (the ones from my old tank?) and some were bad, usually worse on the first half of the film, or the end furthest out on the reel. The new tank has about 3/4 of an inch of play for the reels, which I'd never encountered before, so I further guess these are swirl patters...but they still look odd to me. If that's what you guys suppose it is, does anyone have any suggestions for a stopper to hold the reels?

If they don't look like that, other ideas?

Thanks!
    Last edited by GraemeMitchell; 12-06-2008 at 09:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The space in the tank should not cause your problem. These look like air bells, which you can eliminate if you rap the tank on the sink with vigor several times just when you pour in the developer and start your initial agitation. You could also do a pre-soak in water before you do the developer, as this can also minimize the problem. In rapping the tank, you should rap it down on the sink (clunk clunk clunk) and then rap it on the side of the sink (clunk clunk clunk) with some force, then start your initial agitation. and do it again at the end of your initial agitation. (clunk clunk clunk) That should be enough.

Also, are you tilting the tank a bit when you pour in the developer? You should do this, so the developer flows down the inside wall of the tank and fills up smoothly with the least amount of air introduced into the solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the response. I do rap the tanks, and I've never seen anything like this; also I presoak (2 min) and pour everything in with the tank tilted.

I thought it seemed too consistent and too extreme for air bubbles. It's literally on 10 rolls of 20 that I processed. Some worse than others, but all pretty bad.

Maybe I'm not rapping the tank enough to dislodge the air bubbles, or maybe I didn't agitate the presoak...still?

The only other thing I can think of is that this tri-x was x-rayed in a carry on x-ray machine at the airport. But x-ray marks are bands? Plus the film was only shot at 640...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You should rap and agitate the presoak...absolutely. if you don't then you will get problems. Treat the presoak just like developer, same rap and agitation procedure. If there are air bubbles on the film in the presoak then where these air bubbles are the emulsion will not be fully wet.

But wait...you've got dark spots, not light spots...hmmmm...perhaps you have a light leak in your camera? Do you have any sediment in your developer?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Is your film fresh? Old film could cause issues. A carry-on X-ray generally will not produce any problems with one or two passes. It is the cumilitive effect that can cause some fog. But you got spots, not fog.

Generally speaking developing flaws will show up as LIGHTER spots on the film, not darker ones..unless your problem lies in the fixing stage. Did you rap and agitate in the fixer? You could try re-fixing a strip to see if that makes a difference. Does your fixer have sediment? Are you careful to not remove the tank lid until you have been in the fixer for a couple of minutes? What are you doing for stop bath? Stop bath or water rinse are both acceptable, but if you use water rinse, you got to rinse several times, with rap and tap agitation, particularly with 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Light leak is unlikely. Shooting with an f5 that I've ran a lota film through.

I don't think there's sediment in the developer. Never had a problem with d-76 before... Again, would something like that be this consistent over so many rolls. And the density blobs are despursed so, uh, mechanically.

No sediments in the fix. It's ilford rapid. 3 minutes with lots of agitation. I'll try and refix a strip, but not holding my breath.

Stop is Kodak. 30 sec.

Huh...thought it'd be an easier answer than this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there a light leak (pinhole) in the tank or the lid?

Is there a problem with an inner core for the tank (e.g. Patterson)?

Just a couple of thoughts....

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    oh, and I should note that on the attached jpeg, b/c it may be a bit confusing, that the really dark densities are lights in the images. In case that wasn't obvious. It's the the tank tread marks that are the mystery.

Should have picked a better example.

The following attachment is a crop from the first.
    Last edited by GraemeMitchell; 12-06-2008 at 09:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Is there a light leak (pinhole) in the tank or the lid?

Is there a problem with an inner core for the tank (e.g. Patterson)?

Just a couple of thoughts....

Matt
    not apparently. not patterson either. it's a stainless tank with plastic top. I checked the top in the bathroom with flashlight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
    oh, and I should note that on the attached jpeg, b/c it may be a bit confusing, that the really dark densities are lights in the images. In case that wasn't obvious. It's the the tank tread marks that are the mystery.

Should have picked a better example.

The following attachment is a crop from the first.
    Graeme,
    I processed film for a living in baskets/10 gallon tanks and green inspection light. I've done thousands and thousands of rolls.

Sadly, I've NEVER seen anything like that. But here's my guess (this is just a guess).

I think this reel was on top of the tank. This reel was dunked in photoflo previously. The flo wasn't washed out enough. And when you put it in the tank, the top part of it had some bubbles from all the action of liquid going through (because of a small amount of flo leftover). It was enough to cling to the negs in the beginning. Even though, afterwards, the bubbles dissipated, it was enough to encourange less development in that area.

Again, this is just a guess.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin