Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,329   Online: 778

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I stress again that if you wish to coat on the film afterwards, you will remove the subbing layer with these treatments and will have to re-sub the support somehow.

PE

Images
    While we are on the subject, does the subbing layer contain any dye? The only time I ever purposely removed the emulsion it was for the purpose of measuring the base density that some films use to prevent light piping in 35 mm film. I'd rather not talk about the accidental times.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The subbing layer contains no dye. The support contains a conductive material.

PE

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Images

Thanks for all the replies, but what is clorox?

Thank you all, I am presuming clorox is normal bleach (sodium hypochlorite). It does not remove the emulsion of film in a large scale (about 15m of film). The thing is that I wanna get rid of the exposed (and developed and fixed) emulsion from some film (16mm) I have. I was stupid enough to buy polyester clean leader base and thinking well now, if the film jam, my poor 16mm camera will be f... So I wanna get some clear acetate instead. I'll try the hot water + (what do you think about tiocianatye?). cheers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by narigas2006 View Post
    Thank you all, I am presuming clorox is normal bleach (sodium hypochlorite). It does not remove the emulsion of film in a large scale (about 15m of film). The thing is that I wanna get rid of the exposed (and developed and fixed) emulsion from some film (16mm) I have. I was stupid enough to buy polyester clean leader base and thinking well now, if the film jam, my poor 16mm camera will be f... So I wanna get some clear acetate instead. I'll try the hot water + (what do you think about tiocianatye?). cheers
    Hello,

If you want clear acetate leader, Chlorox (sodium hypochlorite) will certainly work. Just put your 15m un-spooled into a pail and let it sit a while. I have done this a number of times. Then just wipe the emulsion off with a soft cloth (most of it will just float away) and rinse well. Since polyester (estar) leader does not work with film cement, I use old acetate film lengths (stripped) for leaders with acetate based film. Clean acetate leader can also be dissolved to make film cement. This used to be an issue for me, due to my remote location, but Kodak film cement is still available - but not easy to find.

Why are you using leader in your camera? Daylight load spools have extra film to allow for a little waste at each end. 16mm cartridges, which are still available (though sometimes out of date) and re-loadable (with some care) have almost no waste.

Have I understood your question correctly? Why do you think polyester film will jam your camera? Are you trying to re-coat acetate with new emulsion? Oh, one more thing, that is a 16mm cine camera, isn't it?

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Clorox is normal chlorine bleach.
    juan

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Images
    Thanks Clarence, I want to recoat the fbase with home-made emulsion and I have clean polyester base (and while it does not happen to often, it still can happen (jamming) and i was afraid of breaking the claw . Yes, that's 16mm cine camera. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CRhymer View Post
    Hello,

If you want clear acetate leader, Chlorox (sodium hypochlorite) will certainly work. Just put your 15m un-spooled into a pail and let it sit a while. I have done this a number of times. Then just wipe the emulsion off with a soft cloth (most of it will just float away) and rinse well. Since polyester (estar) leader does not work with film cement, I use old acetate film lengths (stripped) for leaders with acetate based film. Clean acetate leader can also be dissolved to make film cement. This used to be an issue for me, due to my remote location, but Kodak film cement is still available - but not easy to find.

Why are you using leader in your camera? Daylight load spools have extra film to allow for a little waste at each end. 16mm cartridges, which are still available (though sometimes out of date) and re-loadable (with some care) have almost no waste.

Have I understood your question correctly? Why do you think polyester film will jam your camera? Are you trying to re-coat acetate with new emulsion? Oh, one more thing, that is a 16mm cine camera, isn't it?

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by narigas2006 View Post
    Thanks Clarence, I want to recoat the fbase with home-made emulsion and I have clean polyester base (and while it does not happen to often, it still can happen (jamming) and i was afraid of breaking the claw . Yes, that's 16mm cine camera. Many thanks.
    Hi,

In that case (re-coating) I have no idea what effect chlorine bleach may have to the acetate base. I suspect PE is right and you will have to re-sub. I don't know how long you would have to wash to get rid of the residual bleach. At any rate, what kind of camera to you have? and how do you propose to do the coating? if you don't mind me asking.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin