Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,934   Online: 834
      
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,412
    Images
    101

    Efke-Dupont connection.

    Reading in one of my older Photo Techniques magazines, where they list available photo papers (circa 1999-2001 or so), they mention in the introduction to Efke papers, that the factory had some connection to the old Dupont photo company. I wonder (and I use some Efke papers) if the current Efke papers resemble any of the classic Dupont papers?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Phoeinx Arizona
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,343
    From other threads, most seem to think that Dupont sold, or spun off, its film production line to Adox and some, inculding myself, speculate that Dupont may have sold it's paper line as well when Dupont ceased paper production in the mid 70s. Adox VC seems to resemble the old Dupont Varigrame, although the paper base is differnt.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,063
    I don't know about DuPont's European operations (they may very well have been sold to Adox), but DuPont continued to make motion picture, x-ray, and industrial photo products in the US at least into the late sixties.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Reading in one of my older Photo Techniques magazines, where they list available photo papers (circa 1999-2001 or so), they mention in the introduction to Efke papers, that the factory had some connection to the old Dupont photo company. I wonder (and I use some Efke papers) if the current Efke papers resemble any of the classic Dupont papers?
    Many Fotokemika products were licensed DuPont formulas. Current VC paper resembles Varilour, including the tendency for silver to plate out to the surface
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    110
    DuPont continued to produce graphic arts products until the late 80's early 90's. They had a great camera speed positive dupe film, but they had a premium price on it.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moorpark, California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    128
    Hi Mark:
    Excuse my stupidity but what do you mean by "the tendency for silver to plate out to the surface"
    Thanks for any input, Howard Tanger

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    Many Fotokemika products were licensed DuPont formulas. Current VC paper resembles Varilour, including the tendency for silver to plate out to the surface
    Mark

  7. #7
    Brac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    UK
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    627
    Dupont bought the original Adox photograhic manufacturing company either in the 60's or 70's. The Adox company was in (West) Germany and that's where the factory was. I remember the films were packed in red & white boxes. Then at some time in the 70's (I think) Dupont decided to cease manufacture of Adox consumer materials. They licensed the technology to Fotokemika in the former Yugoslavia (now in Croatia) and it seems the actual coating machinery was sold to Fotokemika and installed in a factory in what is now Croatia. Efke continued the manufacture of the film emulsions with the same designations (R14/KB14 etc) but branded as Efke (and in green & white boxes). The boxes used to say they were licensed by Du Pont. Latterly by the early 90's they said (according to a box I am looking at) "Manufactured under Licence. Du Pont de Nemours/Deutschland/GMBH". Presumably the consumer papers were licensed as well as the films.

    Later it gets further complicated because Du Pont apparently let the Adox trade mark lapse and a photographic enterprise registered it for most of the world but another one did so in Canada. Now it seems the films with slightly different designations (ie R14/KB14 became R25/KB25 based on ISO rather than DIN speeds etc) are suppled to some retailers as Adox and to others as Efke. Who actually owns what I'm not clear. And to muddy the waters further at one point some film manufactured a couple of hundred miles from where I'm sitting was labelled and sold as Adox and a little of that seems to still be available from some retailers.

    In the UK for some years the Efke films were sold by the Jessops group under their own label and I believe the ISO 100 film in 120 & 127 rollfilm still is.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by kiku View Post
    Hi Mark:
    Excuse my stupidity but what do you mean by "the tendency for silver to plate out to the surface"
    Thanks for any input, Howard Tanger
    Apparently Fotokemika's coating machine applies a heavier layer of emulsion and I often see a silver sheen on the surface of a print. Not objectionable but you can get grey water when you squeegee some prints. I dont consider the high silver content a bad thing
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

  9. #9
    Rolleijoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I live at home.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    510
    Images
    4
    To my eye, the Efke (Fotokemika) papers are the closest to Agfa's Brovira and Portriga paper from the 30s/40s still available today. When matched with their Efke films, the look is nothing short of spectacular.

    It seems a lot of photographers enjoy demeaning the high dollar exchange rate, which makes this film a bargain by calling it "cheap" and dismissing it on those grounds. Well, their loss is my gain, leaving more for me, and the rest of us who use/enjoy this great film.

    The Efke 25 is simply the sharpest film I've ever put through a camera. It's like HD for your lens! Processed in Rodinal, there is nothing to beat it.

  10. #10
    fwp
    fwp is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe View Post
    To my eye, the Efke (Fotokemika) papers are the closest to Agfa's Brovira and Portriga paper from the 30s/40s still available today. When matched with their Efke films, the look is nothing short of spectacular.

    It seems a lot of photographers enjoy demeaning the high dollar exchange rate, which makes this film a bargain by calling it "cheap" and dismissing it on those grounds. Well, their loss is my gain, leaving more for me, and the rest of us who use/enjoy this great film.

    The Efke 25 is simply the sharpest film I've ever put through a camera. It's like HD for your lens! Processed in Rodinal, there is nothing to beat it.
    Have you tried semi-stand development with tfx-2?? I get prints that are so sharp they're almost painfull to look at!



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin