Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,289   Posts: 1,535,371   Online: 790

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    According to Roger Hicks Delta 3200 is more like 1200 and performs best between 1200-2000 in something like DD-X. I tend to agree with this assessment.
    Yes, 1200 in DD-X or Microphen -- maybe 1000 in ID-11/D-76. In other words its true speed is about 1/3 stop greater than TMZ. It's also sharper and (in my view) tonally superior, but the trade-off is that as the fastest of the three fast films, it's also the grainiest.

And yes, I prefer it at 1600-2000 in DD-X, though 3200 is good too. It's worth remembering that although 0.10 above fb+f is the ISO standard, anything above about 0.03 above fb+f is printable

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everything I've seen from these films at their 'actual' ISO looks gross compared to slower films pushed a stop or so, even at the 3200 that they claim, I think pushing other films tends to result in better results.
    I think the only reason to shoot any of this stuff is if you care about getting a picture where you need that extra speed and are willing to sacrifice some shadow detail and a certain level of control to get it.

I like Tri-X @ 3200 in XTol.
    HP5+ sheet @ 3200 in DDX is very pretty.
    TMZ @ 25,000 in XTol is workable.
    Neopan 1600 @ 3200 in XTol is on a whole different level.

Anyone have any experience pushing with Pyro developers?
    I want to get some more speed out of my TMZ but at 50,000 it gets these specks that I'm associating with it being in the developer for so long. (34 minutes.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you hunt around in the chemical formulas section, you can find my post on RAF pyro-metol, which is a pyro speed developer. It's fairly grainy, but a nice counterpart for ABC pyro when you need more speed.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    If I recall correctly, Fomapan T800 was discontinued due to a lawsuit from Kodak alleging violation of its T-grain patent. At the time, it was quite popular and there definitely would have been a market for it if they'd been given the chance.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    If I recall correctly, Fomapan T800 was discontinued due to a lawsuit from Kodak alleging violation of its T-grain patent. At the time, it was quite popular and there definitely would have been a market for it if they'd been given the chance.
    Dear Mike,

I think it was the name that Kodak objected to, not the grain structure. IIRC it was cubic, non-epitaxial.

It was also muddy, grainy and barely 800 in speed increasing developers: at most 1/3 stop faster than HP5 Plus, a vastly superior film. I've just found the original catalogue, and eyeballing the curves it was about ISO 750 in Microphen, 600 in ID-11, barely 200 in Perceptol.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Yes, 1200 in DD-X or Microphen -- maybe 1000 in ID-11/D-76. In other words its true speed is about 1/3 stop greater than TMZ. It's also sharper and (in my view) tonally superior, but the trade-off is that as the fastest of the three fast films, it's also the grainiest.

And yes, I prefer it at 1600-2000 in DD-X, though 3200 is good too. It's worth remembering that although 0.10 above fb+f is the ISO standard, anything above about 0.03 above fb+f is printable

Cheers,

R.
    In my experience, at least, TMZ is actually sharper and finer-grained than Delta 3200. I do agree, however, that Delta is close to 1/3 stop faster and definitely suffers less from the "pushed look" (blocked highlights) than TMZ.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    HP5 @ 800 or 1000 iso
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...0&ppuser=17909

sharper than any negative development @ 400.

I do miss the foma 800T! it was a great film.

dw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin