Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,541   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

HELP: What kind of film is used in making color separations (and who sells it?)??

I'm looking to mess around with transparencies (b/w) using color separation film. I know the stuff is aka "Graphic Arts Film" but I can't seem to find exactly what it is or who carries it. Any help on the issue would be much appreciated!
    -
    Daniel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by iserious View Post
    I'm looking to mess around with transparencies (b/w) using color separation film.
    Continuous tone or halftone screened?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use Tri X sheet film for this.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a guy on eboo sells rolls of plus x aerial film
    that he suggests can be used for color separations.
    his user name is mrfoto1. i have bought from him before
    he is a really nice guy, and if you ask him questions he will
    be happy to answer them.

you might also find what you are looking for through one of apug's sponsors
    - photowarehouse ( ultrafine ) ... they sell all sorts of stuff ...

goodluck!

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lith film that the graphic arts houses use(d) is a bit different to something like TRI-X. Although TRI-X can be used quite succesfully, it is quite thick and unbendable when compared to almost every kind of Litho film I have ever seen and/or used.

I currently have some Ilford Anitec "Newsdot Matte projection film" as it is called.

I bought this about 10 years ago before I converted to LASER engraving and deleted litho film from my processing.

The film box tells me that it is 30.5 x 45.7cm x 100 sheets on a .10mm Polyester Base. The catalogue number is 171-0203. I'm not saying that this film is still manufactured, but this should at least give you an idea of what is/was around.

DuPont was a very, very big manufacturer of this kind of product, as was Kodak and Agfa Compugraphic, Ilford was a bit player by comparison.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format

film for color serparations

Film for color separation

I was a graphic arts color camera man 40 years ago when we made separations by hand and developed in trays. Both transparencies and reflection art required an unsharp premask. For transparencies it was to reduce contrast and increase the illusion of sharpness in addition to correcting colors and printing ink deficiencies. Masking film was of a fairly low contrast and processed in conventional developers likeDK-50
    An early separation film used was Super XX then a ASA 100 speed film with a strong straight line also processed inDK-50. The necessary curve shape being adjusted in the masking stage. by exposure and development. Filters used for separation where 25A red, 58 Green and 47B blue.Filters for masking varied some what depending on needed color correction. Later specific films were developed for transparencies and reflection copy. Reflection copy required a higher contrast film to compensate for the maskings contrast reduction. I would imagine that today FP-4 would be suitable for separation and even masking using a very dilute developer.
    The process was also well describe in Kodak publications for dye transfer printing, if you can find any in library archives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    Continuous tone or halftone screened?
    I don't really know the difference. Care to educate?
    -
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You can use Tri X sheet film for this.

PE
    Ron -

OMG... That'd cost a million Bucks!
    -
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    DuPont was a very, very big manufacturer of this kind of product, as was Kodak and Agfa Compugraphic, Ilford was a bit player by comparison.

Mick.
    I don't suppose you'd know what films are used for this process nowadays and where they'd be sold/available?

I got a tip on this thread for UltraFine. I looked them up and they seem to have quite a variety available. Though I have no idea what I'm looking for. I'm guessing I'll have to call'em up.

What I'd like to do is make b/w positive transparencies (large) from 35mm & 6x6 negatives.
    -
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    you might also find what you are looking for through one of apug's sponsors
    - photowarehouse ( ultrafine ) ... they sell all sorts of stuff ...

john
    I think this stuff may be it. I'm going to give them a call sometime tomorrow. It's kind of hard when I don't entirely know what I'm looking for. What I do know is that I'm trying to make large (display) positives (slides) from 35mm & 6x6 negatives. The idea I had is the sandwich the positives between 2 sheets of newton-free glass, and hang it in front of (or in line with) a window.

Thanks for the tip! Any more info would surely be appreciated.
    -
    Daniel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin