Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,828   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Number Of Reels In Tank

Hi All,

I have a Paterson System 4 tank that can hold 3 reels and a AP compact tank that can hold 2 reels. However, it seems this week I only shot one roll of film and I am wondering if there are any issues with developing 1 reel in a multi-reel tank? My opinion is that there shouldn't be an issue as long as there is the correct amount of chemical.

You thoughts or input will be appreciated.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    your correct. just be sure that the reel with the film is at the bottom of the tank, not in the middle, etc.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I'm developing 1 film in my 2reel paterson I put both reels in the tank. de one empty goed on top. so you prevent the reel with the film to float to the top.

It won't be difficult to find 1 reel tanks for very little money at flu markets

cheers
    Ijsbeer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a little plastic ring that goes on the centre tube if you use fewer than the maximum number of reels. I use this whenever my tanks are not full and I have no trouble.

Some argue that you should fill the tank with reels to prevent surge marks during development but I've never had any density issues using the minimum number of reels.

That little ring just holds the reel in place at the bottom of the tank, so that the reel is fully immersed in developer.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like there isn't an issue for me. I'll probably buy a single reel developer tank but it's good to know that I can use what tanks I have.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The only "issue" with using multiple reel tanks to process a single reel of film, is that you should always fill the tank with chemistry, and add empty reels on top of the loaded reel, otherwise your agitation will be more agressive as the loaded reel will travel up and down in the tank when you invert agitate. (Stainless steel tanks)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Adding empty reels above the reels with film and using only enough chemistry to cover the film works for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you haven't got the little plastic clip you can use an elastic band to stop the reel riding up the column - works for me! Don't be over-vigourous with the aggitation to avoid creating bubbles.

Rob

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You will notice a slight difference in film density and contrast due to 1 roll run verses a full roll run due to the amount of emulsion in a full vs single.
    We never run single roll tests for this very reason.

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also use an empty 35mm cassette "can"--the little black plastic can that holds a 35mm cassette--to fill the top space when you're developing 1 reel in a 2-reel tank. If necessary, you can use 2-3 such cans until if you don't have an empty/extra film reel. I have done this on occasion and it works well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin