Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,463   Online: 823

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Adox VarioClassic in Viradon: my print is blue?

Hi!

Last week I toned a 10x12 print on Adox VarioClassic G in Agfa Viradon. To my surprise, the print seems a bit blue. My only explanation is that the highlights got a yellow cast from the toning, and the mid/shadows did not, therefore I'm interpreting the yellow as white, and the "neutral" as blue?

Have I been sniffing too much fixer, or what?

PS. the print looks really nice, and I'd like to recreate this effect sometime.
    Be careful his bow tie is really a camera
    timeUnit

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    The toner should only affect the silver, i.e. not the highlights, which are composed by lack of silver.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I the ADOX paper is Varycon, as I rather suspect, it does have a strange tendency to get yellow highlights and blue shadows in Viradon.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I the ADOX paper is Varycon, as I rather suspect, it does have a strange tendency to get yellow highlights and blue shadows in Viradon.
    That would mean the toner is absorbed by the paper, right?
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not - necessarily "absorbed". But possibly "influenced by".

I've seen that effect and variously cursed it and loved it throughout the 20 or so years that I've been using Varycon.

Even odder was Emaks - maybe only one batch - which got greenish highlights and quite red shadows in Old Viradon. Absolutely ghastly on the wrong subject...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

I have also noticed this "blue midtones' effect with tea toned prints. It may or may not be optical illusion.
    Wolfgang Moersch produces a similar strange effect with Agfa MCC in Tim Rudman's World of Lith Printing.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do have some silver in my highlights, and the paper base doesn't seem yellow, so I guess the viradon got attached to the ligher parts on the image, more than the shadows.

Ole,
    I have no hard data on this but as I remember Varycon it is a warm tone paper, which Adox VarioClassic is not, therefore I don't think they are the same. By hearsay I've come to understand that Adox VarioClassic MIGHT be an old Dupont recipe: Varilour or Varigram. I don't have any info to substantiate this.

Thanks for your input in this matter!
    Be careful his bow tie is really a camera
    timeUnit

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin