Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,626   Online: 1015

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Wet 120 Film Packages

One of the 10 film blocks of 120 Ilford PanF+ that I had in the fridge got really wet, who knows how. The wetness was enough to go through the plastic wrap and make the paper boxes really mushy. I took them out of the fridge and the plastic but did not open the boxes and they stink a bit. It could be the smell of the mysterious liquid.

Do you think the film inside would be fine?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As long as the foil packets around the film are intact, they should be ok... Open a sample roll and see. I had a shoot that I did once, where I had to ford a river (fairly shallow) carrying my Hasselblad kit in a well-sealed case. I had my film that I had just shot in my hand. I slipped on a rock, and the case, and my hand carrying the film, went right into the river. The case (a lightware case) never leaked a drop, but the film was fully immersed. I ran home to process it, and it turned out just fine even though it was at least an hour from the dunking to when I got the film in the soup.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I once dropped my entire camera (film included) into a stream that was just above freezing. I processed the film once I got home and it didn't appear to affect the outcome. The camera, however, wasn't so lucky.

Like Scott said, as long as the foil packets didn't leak then the film shouldn't be affected.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Each roll of 120 film is sealed in a foil pack which acts as a moisture and vapor barrier. You should not have any ill effects from the exterior packaging getting wet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As has been said above, as long as the foil outer is intact, no moisture should have got onto the film :

Simon. ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you guys, I am at ease now
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    I had the same experience. But with Foma 120 film.
    On one roll, the foil had a defect and the roll had experienced moisture causing the backing paper to stick to the gelatin. Of course, I did not notice this when I loaded the camera. But when I get after frame one the camera seems to jam and I was unable to advance film. As I'm strong, and the C330 is sturdy I finally managed to expose the entire roll. It was useless, the paper was welded into the gelatin and I was unable to get any image from that film.
    So if the camera seems to jam after a couple of frames, dump the film .... You'll save on nerves and chemicals.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin