Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,695   Online: 1165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodalith Fine Line developer

Hi.

I'm preparing to attempt my first lith prints. I have a couple of packages of Kodalith Fine Line developer from who-knows-when, A and B in powdered form.

Is this a product that will work?

I'm reading through Tim Rudman's 2 books again (already read them once cover to cover); he mentions Kodalith Super RT among other brands.

Cheers.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi
    It should work. Originally it was intended to enhance the adjacency effect by not agitating the developer/film once the image appeared on lith film. Be advised it has a very short tray life when A & B are mixed. It was used for enhancing negative contrast of low contrast original documents.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Richard.

I do have another question.

I don't have any of the "best" papers; I have some Forte Polygrade RC WT (semi-matt) for my first trial efforts. Would any of my other papers be worth trying out at another time?

-Ilford MG RC regular (glossy, pearl, semi-matt), WT (glossy, pearl, semi-matt), CT (pearl), portfolio
    -Ilford MG FB regular
    -Ilfobrom G3 FB Galerie
    -Agfa Multicontrast glossy and semi-matt
    -Forte Polygrade RC CT
    -Cachet Multibrom VC-FB matt

Cheers from blowy-chilly Ottawa.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi again
    Sorry, I can't answer that. I have not tried lith printing with enlarging papers.

Nice weather we are having.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    4x5 Format

AGFA MCC

I have had great success with AGFA MCC, with Lodalith RT and LD20

Shooter
    4x5 Format

oops

Of course I meant Kodalith

Quote Originally Posted by tmike View Post
    Thanks, Richard.

I do have another question.

I don't have any of the "best" papers; I have some Forte Polygrade RC WT (semi-matt) for my first trial efforts. Would any of my other papers be worth trying out at another time?

-Ilford MG RC regular (glossy, pearl, semi-matt), WT (glossy, pearl, semi-matt), CT (pearl), portfolio
    -Ilford MG FB regular
    -Ilfobrom G3 FB Galerie
    -Agfa Multicontrast glossy and semi-matt
    -Forte Polygrade RC CT
    -Cachet Multibrom VC-FB matt

Cheers from blowy-chilly Ottawa.
    I agree with Richard's assessment that it was designed to copy originals of poor contrast as opposed to RT for high contrast graphic arts originals. I have a lot of it and have asked Tim Rudman and others about it. So far no one is familiar with it but I have too much of it to ignore. It does not give as colorful results as Champion Novalith for example but will give pink highlights on Polywarmtone grudgingly at 1+1+12.
    I am unable so far to get salmon colour on Fomatone, but switching to a Formaldehyde developer at 1+1+40 gives easy pink colour.
    I dont think any of the papers you list will give pinkish colours but nice browns should be obtainable.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

And would you Ottawa people kindly stop dumping your excess snow in my driveway!
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    And would you Ottawa people kindly stop dumping your excess snow in my driveway!
    Mark
    Ha! LOL. Minus 27 C here this morning, despite the warming effect of parliament.

Thanks for the answers, guys; quite specific and just what I was looking for.

I didn't get a chance to try printing last evening. All the preparatories kept me busy; change the safelight filter to red (probably not necessary for the Forte), FIND a couple of jugs that will hold a gallon each, find containers for the chemicals already in those jugs, wash, mix, pour, wash, the usual. Enlarger and negative set up. I finally got ready to print at about a quarter to 11 last evening and decided to wait; I'd not taken the Forte out of the fridge.

Back at it today.

Cheers.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Well, I got some printing done...

I actually managed to have some success...

Quite a variable process. I'm surprised.

I started with the Forte Polywarmtone RC papers and fond that the shadows printed very dark, leaving the midtones undeveloped. Colour was pretty black.

I had the best success with the Agfa MCC RC, to my surprise. Midtones showed up before shadows were too dense. Dark cocoa brown.

I tried Ilford RC WT last and the colour was promising, warmer with a slight pink tinge to the brown.

I was amazed at how variable the process was. A batch of developer (1+1+12) would do 2 or 3 prints, developing time getting markedly longer for each subsequent print in the same mix. To get through a dozen papers, I had to mix developer 4 times. 5 of those papers wouldn't proceed to complete development, stalling at about 8 minutes and remaining that way. The fastest development was in my last batch (1+1+1 of exhausted developer+10 water).

Nowhere did I see infectious development; no runaway trains. I was actually hoping to see it. I'll leave the last batch of developer out to see just how brown it gets...

I should be posting up my examples, but that would mean that I'd have to learn how to use the scanner tonight. I already have a brain cramp from speeding around those learning curves.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin