Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,344   Online: 1014

Shooter
    Multi Format

Gold Toner, keeping qualities

Gold toners, do they keep, or should one discard it after each session?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Is this a self mix or from a bottle?

If it is mixed with Amonium or Sodium thiocyanate, I undersand the mix is only good for about an hour.

If it is from a mix, it should stay good until it no longer tones.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been able to keep and reuse Clerc's thiourea gold toner over several days until I exhaust it, but borax gold toners seem to go bad within a few hours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FredW View Post
    Gold toners, do they keep, or should one discard it after each session?
    Ready-made Goldtoner like Tetenals - have excellent keeping propeties. So don't discard it!

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree with Tom. I use Tetenal until it dies, which is anything up to a year or more dependent on use, just take care not to contaminate it.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's an ammonium thiocyanate based kit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Resurrecting an old thread to report that I use a home-made toner with about 50g ammonium thiocyanate per liter to tone RC prints, and it keeps at least a day. It didn't work after a week, but I was able to reactivate it by adding some 1% gold chloride solution (of which I use maybe 20-25 ml per session) without adding thiocyanate.

It's a really convenient toner - doesn't smell, not very toxic, single bath, tones in about 5 minutes if the solution is at 100F or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would fully endorse Dave's comments about being careful of contamination. I was recently doing some Salt Printing (I know this is in the B&W thread) and got some of the fix into the gold toner, a complete right off in seconds and I was using two bottles of toner at a time. An expensive mistake and a definate lesson learnt!!

FWIW...I have found that if more blacks/shadow areas exist in the print (like the brushed edges of Salt Prints) the toner is soon exhausted.

John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin