Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,253   Online: 779

Shooter
    Multi Format

120/220mm bulk film loader?

hey all,
    I know there are 35mm bulk film loaders, Is there a such a thing as a 120/220mm bulk film loader? If so can someone give me a link to where to buy? and where to buy bulk film?

thanks,
    Scott Hunnicutt
    college level photo student

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes - I believe it's called an Alden 70... for bulk loading 70mm film. You have to have cassettes and the right back to shoot it on, however - and many emulsions are getting very very scarce.

Shooter
    Medium Format

70mm film?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Yes - I believe it's called an Alden 70... for bulk loading 70mm film. You have to have cassettes and the right back to shoot it on, however - and many emulsions are getting very very scarce.
    There is a ROLLEI IR / AERO available, double perforated, 70mm x 30.5 meters, which can be exposed just regular, as an normal B&W film with ISO 200. Excellent tonality, very fine grain, solution approx. 150 Lp/mm, available through FREESTYLE L.A. Processing service through Dr5 in the USA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cut down 70mm?

I have been saving the rolls and backing paper for the day when things get really scarce. I have anticipated that aero imagery film will still exist in that future day, and the idea was to cut down the film to fit the respooling effort. If I can still get 70mm then, great, but I too would be concerned on that one.

I have bulk loaded 35mm in the dark many years ago as a student with no funds for the bulk daylight loader. Cotton gloves, a smooth long desk, and a good vaccuuming with a central vac made the resulting loads perfectly acceptable. It is a pain, but it can be done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless you are very lucky a 70mm bulk loader can cost more then a basic 120 camera. I've no idea who is paying $200+ for these things but people do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A 70mm bulk loader is one thing, and it's fine, I'm sure, for loading 70mm film into a cassette. If you have a back for your camera that accepts this and you can find a source of 70mm film in the emulsion you want, then you are good to go. But the OP wanted to know about bulk loaders for 120/220 film, and that, I'm afraid, does not exist. Where would one source the required paper backing for 120, or paper leaders for 220? Then there's the problem of taping the film to the paper. A difficult thing to do in the dark I'll bet.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've loaded 616 backing paper with 70mm unperforated paper in a changing bag. Not hard. I put a crease in where to start rolling it, roll it up, and then add tape at the starting end.

Problem for 120 is sourcing the film in the correct width. Just not made in long rolls.

Problem with 220 would be getting everything lined up -- hopeless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    A 70mm bulk loader is one thing, and it's fine, I'm sure, for loading 70mm film into a cassette. If you have a back for your camera that accepts this and you can find a source of 70mm film in the emulsion you want, then you are good to go. But the OP wanted to know about bulk loaders for 120/220 film, and that, I'm afraid, does not exist. Where would one source the required paper backing for 120, or paper leaders for 220? Then there's the problem of taping the film to the paper. A difficult thing to do in the dark I'll bet.
    I mentioned the 70mm thing because that's what the photo industry came up with as a medium format equivalent for 35mm film loading technology. The frame size, etc... is IDENTICAL to 120 on nearly all medium format cameras. The only difference is the storage medium. Clearly - 120 is not bulk-loadable due to the paper, etc... nobody sells that exact film in bulk rolls. So - I was just trying to find the closest thing. You can get 70mm in nearly ANY classic emulsion you want. You just have to look for it. I've done so and have been able to, within, the last year, stock up on significant quantities of HP5, Portra 160, Tech Pan, Plus-X and Color IR in 70mm format. Maybe you won't find it at your local Photo store... but it's definitely out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is some current film up for auction for the 70mm loader

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Kodak-Portra-70mm...QQcmdZViewItem

Regards
    Gord

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin