Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,509   Online: 1111

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for your time and consideration. The level of knowledge and patience is a great help, and I feel like I can come back here when I need help.

I just put in my first darkroom chemical order through http://www.adorama.com. I went with all Ilford stuff because it's the only name that I know of (besides Kodak of course) The reason I went with an online vendor is because the closest camera shop is nearly a 3 hour drive from where I live.
    I did get the powder solutions mainly because they are the cheapest, and I don't think I'll have any trouble mixing them as I'll be majoring in a Chemistry field, so I have a lot of experience with mixing chemicals that are a tad more dangerous than metol and the other darkroom chemicals.
    And as for a stop bath, taking into your thoughts, vinegar shouold be fine since this will be my second development, but I will keep your considerations in mind as I progress to more advanced techniques.

Again, thank you for your huge help

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If like me you don't like the smell of vinegar, citric acid is a good substitute. Something like one heaped teaspoon in one liter of water is a good stop bath, and (to me at least) smells a lot better than the more common 2% acetic acid.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another fan of citric acid here: it is essentially odourless. Vinegar is for putting on fish and chips, not for stinking out the darkroom... If you want to support Ilford, Ilfostop is citric acid based, but there are others, some with indicator included.

I'd also suggest a low-odour fixer for processing paper: Tetenal, Fotospeed, and others, make them (but not Ilford unfortunately).

As you are just starting, you probably don't want to mess about mixing developer from powders (yet!) so go for something like Ilford Multicontrast or PQ Universal developers which come as a liquid that you dilute with water just before use. No need to stick with Ilford though as others have said: any general purpose paper developer will do fine.

It's important to read the instructions: especially as regards dilution levels and how long the developer will last in the opened bottle.

Have fun, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Malt vinegar is best on fish and chips, but distilled white vinegar is best when you need a stop bath.

It is important how long the mixed developer stock solution will last, how long the working solution will last, and what the capacity of the working solution is. These are all important factors.

Dektol is the best developer out of many commercial print developers that I have tested so far for all of these. I have a bunch more to test.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin