Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,575   Posts: 1,545,706   Online: 765

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Using an HLVP sprayer for Liquid Light

In another (related) thread, I stumbled upon a reference to using an HLVP sprayer to coat Liquid Light emulsion onto various surfaces. What a (simple yet) brilliant idea! I've been thinking of experimenting with Liquid Light for a while now yet somehow I couldn't quite see how I'd coat a surface evenly. Using an HVLP sprayer certainly seems to answer that question - at least in theory.

I'd love to hear about fellow Apug'er thoughts & experiences with this process. I know that Liquid Light can be a lot of fun and if this technique actually works, the possibilities are truly endless!

Seeing as I don't know the first thing about HVLP systems, here are some of the questions in my head:

What are the specs that a given HVLP sprayer would need to have for it to be optimaly suited for Liquid Light? Any recommendations?

What are the pitfalls of the method?

Has anyone had any real-world experience using this technique and if so, what advice might be offered?

Thanks in advance & happy coating!
    -
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day i
    what's a HVLP?

why do need even/perfect coverage of liquid light?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    what's a HVLP?

why do need even/perfect coverage of liquid light?

HVLP = High Volume Low Pressure (paint sprayer/atomizer)

Why does one need to get a perfectly distributed coat of emulsion? Well.. I suppose one doesn't "need" to per say as such would depend on the task at hand and the sought effect. I suppose I should've said "If one needs.."

:-)
    -
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    my point about a perfect coating is that maybe imperfections make alternative processes special

so, an atomzer or something similar, how would you keep the emulsion warm enough to spray and not clog up the sprayer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done it, it works great. You need to thin the emulsion, I use Everclear.
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I don't think I want to atomize any of the alternative processes.

There are chemicals in most of them that I choose not to inhale.

Wearing a respirator for the hours I print would be uncomfortable to say the least. I will just stick with a brush, a glass rod and care and patience to achieve a smooth coat.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823 View Post
    I've done it, it works great. You need to thin the emulsion, I use Everclear.
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by "thinning" out the emulsion? I'm new to Liquid Light and I don't fully understand how to use it yet. Wouldn't adding something into the emulsion contaminate or otherwise alter it?
    -
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    so, an atomzer or something similar, how would you keep the emulsion warm enough to spray and not clog up the sprayer?
    I can't imagine that being overly difficult. One idea might be to keep the sprayer's reservoir in a hot water bath until just before you're ready to apply the coat and return it to the hot water bath in between coatings.

It sounds like the HVLP method would make it a lot easier to coat larger sheets of glass (for positives). Another possibility I've always wanted to explore was printing on an actual wall or ceiling.

(yes I'm crazy enough to try something like that)
    -
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is covered in the book "Silver Gelatin" including painting on the wall and ceiling.

And this should be in the emulsion making and coating forum IMHO.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everclear is 100% grain alcohol. I use it to thin the emulsion so it sprays better. The alcohol then evaporates.

I use it when I spray emulsion onto canvas. Only way I've found to give a good coation onto the uneven surface.
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin