Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,999   Online: 876

Thread: Reticulation

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Following a darkroom mishap, I have a reticulated 120 film. I would rather it were not so and therefore wonder whether it is possible to minimise the effect by applying or soaking the film in gelatin I use for alt.process paper. Any opinions please and strengths of liquid.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

I cannot imagine that having any effect on the structure/texture of the image. You might susceed in making the negative thicker overall, but not much more.

But it looks like it's up to you Roy to give it a shot and keep us informed. Funny though, usually there are questions from people looking to achieve reticulation and not repair it...
    - William Levitt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe you could cut off the ends and experiment before you commit your roll...
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello, I am curious if you have tried this. It seems to me that since the gelatin is supposed to be optically pure, adding more would make no difference. What you need is a way to move the original gelatin back to the way it was when the film was first exposed. I don't know of any way to do that.
    huh?

Images
    The worst thing about this reticulation is that the gelatin, when it cracks and shrinks, carries grain particles with it. Filling in the cracks with clear gelatin might help, but I expect that the deformation of the grain patterns would remain, with the result that the negative would still have the appearance of very coarse grain. OTOH i don't see that you have much to lose by trying.

Pat Gainer
    Gadget Gainer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin