Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,391   Online: 1028

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    If your flasher has variable intensity, you can use the Zonemaster just as I do with my home made apparatus. Leave the flasher on at minimum intensity while using the Zonemaster meter to adjust Zone 1 or 2 using the enlarging lens and exposure time as you would were you not using flashing. Use the flasher intensity to adjust Zone 7 or 8 to suit the Zonemaster. Now check the shadow. You will see that the Zonemaster reading has not changed significantly. All you need is a switched outlet into which you plug both the flasher and the enlarger so that both are either on or off together.

The best you can do by flashing is to add enough light so that the places where you want Zone 7 0r 8 are exposed just slightly more than the threshold of the printing material. Adding a certain amount of overall light will not add the same density increment to both high and low because of the logarithmic function involved. The log of 1 + 1 is 0.3 while the log of 10 + 1 is 1.04. This reasoning assumes that you want to add the minimum light to bring some detail into the highlights. If you just want to darken a certain area, you are netter off with dodging/burning.

Right, my interest in flashing is just about getting the highlight areas over the threshold. I assume that flashing the whole sheet does no harm. I don't know if the flasher has variable output. I don't think that it does.

I'm going to refer back to your post when I have the flasher and zonemaster in hand. Thanks.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Images
    The idea still works. You just have to implement it differently if the flasher has fixed light output. It is probably easiest to contrive a way to control the light from the flasher, either by a simple iris or by neutral density filters, which need not be accurate but must cover a range of densities. I have not seen the flasher in question. I made my own, and if I were the manufacture, the ones I sold would be like mine.

Do not use a variable resister or light dimmer switch to control the flasher. These devices will change the color of the light, thereby adding another variable.
    Gadget Gainer

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use the flasher as a paper fogger. after the print is made and there is still a highlight that is still too bright I will burn in the area with a hard filter and then fog the area with the flasher. I do have to make a test print but that is not hard to do.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    It is neither pre- nor post-flashing, but while-flashing.
    You never cease to amaze.

Shooter
    35mm
    How about the ceiling?

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keffs View Post
    How about the ceiling?

Steve
    Not a bad thought if it's bright enough...figure four feet away, give or take...I can easily find an angle where no part of the enlarger casts a shadow and stand aside so that I don't. At that distance, the difference in light intensity from areas of the paper that are nominally nearer or farther from the flasher would be minimal, re: inverse square rule.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Not a bad thought if it's bright enough...figure four feet away, give or take...I can easily find an angle where no part of the enlarger casts a shadow and stand aside so that I don't. At that distance, the difference in light intensity from areas of the paper that are nominally nearer or farther from the flasher would be minimal, re: inverse square rule.
    this is a very dim light you might not want to wait long enough for the light if it is mounted on the ceiling. It is powered by a 9 volt battery also. Its light bulb is like a "grain of wheat" bulb they use on model railroad engines I think plus there is a diffusion glass there. You guys are way over thinking this.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even flashing across the sheet and consistant flashing from exposure to exposure from a non-adjustable light source can only be managed via its positioning or by doing tests ever time the enlarger's height changes. You may enjoy all that testing. I sure don't.

If the height varies or if the illumination is not either centered (and high enough to obviate the inverse-square rule) or simply far enough away to obviate the inverse-square rule, then there are going to be inconsistancies.

I don't see how avoiding these inconsistancies is over thinking anything. With all due respect, ignoring them seems like under thinking thngs.

Images
    Did I forget to mention? My flasher is velcroed to the side of my enlarger head. As a rule, the main concern with empty highlights is at one end of the negative, such as a cloudy sky. The light cast by the fogger will have no noticeable effect in the shadows anyway. The concern about unevenness is less important than a concern about where the unevenness should occur.

In order to use the while-flashing concept with a Zonemeter or equal, it is required that the enlarger lamp and the flashing lamp have the same color temperature. This can be done with a filter such as is used to balance tungsten photofloods with daylight film if needed.

If you have the proper equipment, there is little or no trial and error involved.
    Gadget Gainer

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    "You may enjoy all that testing. I sure don't."

I don't particularly like all that testing as you say but I do care about making the best possible prints I can make and I care about using the tools as they were designed to be used. There also is a certain amount of testing required in photography. I was taught how to use this piece of equipment by the guy that wrote the manual and whose original idea it was. His name is Les McLean.

I don't care if you want to adapt it to exposed thru the lens of your enlarger. I am just pointing out that if you position the Flasher/Fogger on the bottom of the lens board the unit will work as designed. Gainer has a lot of ideas but I believe RH Designs is the only one that has actually offered a unit like this for sale.

lee\c

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin