Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,955   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

RH Designs Paper Flasher

First, allow me to get in my brief gloat over having just placed my order for a StopClock Professional, Zonemaster II and Paper Flasher. Thanks for the tax refund check, Uncle Sam.

Now 2 questions about the paper flasher.

Is it important to flash paper from a consistant height?

Assuming so, how have paper flasher owners solved that? I want my flashing to be consistant, regardless of where the enlarger head is for any given print. I don't want to be moving the head once I've composed a print on the easel. So I'm envisioning some mechanism for positioning the flasher at the same height all the time, independent of the enlarger head's position. I don't have the luxury of a separate enlarger or copy stand for this purpose. I'm thinking about a wall mounted swing arm.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    use a piece of velco. a piece on the flasher and a piece on the lens board.

then the equipment will be at the same height of the orginal exposure and youi wouldn't have to move the head.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    use a piece of velco. a piece on the flasher and a piece on the lens board.

then the equipment will be at the same height of the orginal exposure and youi wouldn't have to move the head.
    Allow me to clarify. That would mean that the position of the flasher is tied to the position of the enlarger's head. If the head is higher, the paper isn't going to recieve as much flashing exposure as it would when the head is lower. A given paper emulsion needs the same amount of light to overcome the silver's inertia each and every time, yes?

Hence my desire to decouple flasher height from enlarger head height.

Am I not thinking of this correctly?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jstraw - I do as Ann does, then carry out a quick test strip to work out the flash/ fog exposure. I guess that if you do fix it somewhere that it will stay constant, then you will only have to do the test strip once for each paper, then use this value everytime, but my darkroom is too small to have a fixed flashing area, it really only takes a few extra seconds each time.

Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    First, allow me to get in my brief gloat over having just placed my order for a StopClock Professional, Zonemaster II and Paper Flasher. Thanks for the tax refund check, Uncle Sam.

Now 2 questions about the paper flasher.

Is it important to flash paper from a consistant height?

Assuming so, how have paper flasher owners solved that? I want my flashing to be consistant, regardless of where the enlarger head is for any given print. I don't want to be moving the head once I've composed a print on the easel. So I'm envisioning some mechanism for positioning the flasher at the same height all the time, independent of the enlarger head's position. I don't have the luxury of a separate enlarger or copy stand for this purpose. I'm thinking about a wall mounted swing arm.
    I stuck a piece of board onto the back of mine so that it slides in and out of my Multigrade filter holder
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Jstraw - I do as Ann does, then carry out a quick test strip to work out the flash/ fog exposure. I guess that if you do fix it somewhere that it will stay constant, then you will only have to do the test strip once for each paper, then use this value everytime, but my darkroom is too small to have a fixed flashing area, it really only takes a few extra seconds each time.
    The extra time doesn't bother me but the extra paper does. I have a very small darkroom as well but I'm determined to come up with a solution.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    with pre-flashing the old fashion way, yes you maintain a constant distance.

with this toy , many use if for post flashing which is a different animal.

also, you could use some smaller strips
    of paper to be used only in the area that you want flashed with will help control the cost

not knowing what your darkroom space looks like it is hard to determine exactly what would be most helpful; however, you could also attach the flasher along side of the enlarger at a given height , perhaps on a wall which will aid with the consistency of time regards of enlarger head height.

it has a foot switch which will allow you to place the flasher at a varity of places and few up your hands and arm length as well.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like I need to do some research. While I have a rudimentary understanding of pre-flash. I'm ignorant about post-flashing.

The reason I'm thinking about some sort of armature is that the inverse square rule is unforgiving and surface mounting it on a wall perpendicular to the surface the paper is on means that the light will not be even across the paper.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use Blue Tack and attach the flasher to the lens board.

That requires a test strip every time you flash.

What I have been meaning to do is mount the flasher to a swinging arm that is mounted on the wall. I would place it so that it would swing below the lens when the enlarger is focused at the smallest print size (the unit casts a wide beam) and then I could standardize the flashing time to each paper type with test strips and be more efficient. An alternative would be to mount the flasher to a pedestal, sort of like a goose neck desk lamp, so that the flasher is portable but always at the same height.
    Jerold Harter MD

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I also use Blue Tack and it is attached to the lens board. make sure the unit is off because it does use up 9volt batteries. and congrats on the purchase.

lee\c
    Last edited by lee; 04-21-2007 at 03:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin