Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,604   Online: 807

Shooter
    8x10 Format

What's in the box? Another Efke victim...

I remember reading this post a while ago:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/2...den-death.html

and thinking "what an unlucky fellow, of course it is highly unlikely that this will ever happen to me".

Well, several months, about 60 underexposed Efke 8x10 negatives, and a lengthy period of questioning and analyzing my processing routine later, it finally caught up with me and I remembered the above posting...

Turns out, I had (2) 50 sheet boxes of Efke PL100 with emulsion number 510612 (note that EM 510613 in the above post was among the ones that were described as consistently underexposed). My own film speed testing and printing completed just last night confirms that my film packaged as PL100 is in fact PL50!

Needless to say that this is rather frustrating, and together with an emulsion flaw on a previous box of Efke (sinoidal banding consistently running along the long sides of the sheets), I think I will use up my remaining supplies of Efke and then switch products.

I even consider testing every box of sheet film from now on. One sheet from the top, another from the bottom should be somewhat representative of what is actually in the box.

Anyway, this is more of a rant than of any importance. On the other hand, I am sure others have Efke sheet film in the freezer. If you do, check the emulsion number and see if you are anywhere near 510612.

Regards,

Markus Albertz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never used the sheet film from Efke, but I'm in the middle of a batch of some Efke 25 in 120 size and I do have some problems: light leaks around the paper, emulsion easily scratched, etc.

The photos that come out are gorgious tho'! As I said in a previous post, I really like the film (even with its flaws) and would like to see Efke do well and be part of the future of b/w film photography, but it's hard to keep buying it when you can't rely on it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm annoyed after discovering some fairly bad light leaks with Efke 50 120. Won't be buying it again until I hear of any improvements in QC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Adox 100 in 120 can easily get too loose around the spool. It is actually easier to load on the spiral that way, since the film doesn't curl. But I was surprised and lost the first film. Not a big problem though.
    /matti

KOG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the best course of action is to do a check first. Then if you have problems post it on every photography users group you can think of. Be specific with emulsion numbers and expiration dates etc.

Hopefully film manufactures will get the message that users are fed up with their poor quality control.

Kevin.
    Last edited by KOG; 04-26-2007 at 04:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added word

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've only used a few sheets of Efke 25 in 4x5. No issues there, but I did buy the box a couple years ago. Ive been hearing more QC issues with their products from late then from before. I've read even the film is not as good as it used to be (somethings changed). But I have new rolls of this film in the freezer. I'll know if anything is up when I get to shooting them. But I too have had issues with light leaks on 120 rolls. I seemed to get them with their newer films then older.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best thing to do if you can is buy a bunch of film from the same emulsion number and then test it. As far as the quality control of films goes, it is why you pay more for Ilford/Kodak. You have to decide if the difference in price/characteristics are worth it. I love EFKE film and will continue to use it even if I have problems with it, although I haven't yet (knock on wood).

Patrick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin