Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,217   Online: 1120

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Toning Glossy & Matt Paper

I have always used Ilford's Multigrade FB Glossy paper but I was thinking of trying the Matt version. With regard to toning, do the two papers react differently in Selenium, i.e. will they change colour differently?

What other differences if any?

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably not, and there's probably not much to get by trying matte surface on FB paper, unless you are unhappy with what you have now and think matte surface would buy you something new.

Generally, I prefer glossy FB paper air dried, and very fine matte surface (semi-matte, pearl, fine lusture) RC paper. Glossy RC is not very attractive unless you need print just to scan-and-toss work. Matte FB is also seems to make the image less crisp.

All these are with or withuot toning.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've not seen any real difference in either sepia and selenium, but I have not done extensive testing so take it for what you think it's worth. I agree with Ryuji on the glossy FB paper - I only use matte surface FB for more pictorial prints.

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin