Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,267   Online: 783

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

few bottles of PETG

Hello.

I got a few bottles, made of PETG ( Polyethylenterephthalat). This is another form of PET. The bottles are new and lightweight.

Does anybody know if I could use these for diluted fixer, stop or positivdeveloper? Are they safe, also with the diluted stop bath?

Or should I use them elsewhere? Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've not seen an acronym PETG but PETE is common in the US and PET in the most other parts of the world.

PET bottles are very suitable for all common photographic solutions. Watch out for the fit of the cap. Good quality cap should be used. Good ones have soft teflon lining to ensure good seal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. You are right. PETE.

Caps are very good. Not too small. Thats exactly why I want to use it.

I just didnt know whether the fixer or the stop bath may be too aggressive for storing (make holes?).

Maybe these are already diluted enough and its safe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The biggest weakness of PET is heat. It can't take high temp. If you mix water and NaOH in a PET bottle, it can melt and make a hole. But as long as hot filling is avoided, PET is good for darkroom chemicals.

Incidentally, recycled PET is hard to sterilize without going through troubles. This is why the reuse and recycle rates of PET have been lower than other plastics.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin