Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,831   Online: 828

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

70mm film availability and processing

I've been offered a 70mm film back for my Hasselblad and wondering what b+w film is still available for it?

I'm also wondering if its easy to develop such a long roll in a tank, and where I'd get such a tank/reels?

Any help appreciated.

Fintan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All I can say is good luck.

That back needs perforated film. I'm sure somebody can correct me if that's wrong.

Supposedly you can get the back adapted to take unperforated but maybe I'm remembering wrong . Some people make adapters to fit 35mm film. Not sure if it's standard 35mm format or panoramic.

The only possible hope for film is to check if Kodak might have a film that fits. I can't remember but I want to say they don't.

The film Efke made was unperforated so wouldn't work in that back.

You might find some colour films that fit but the choice isn't that broad either.

For processing some companies make films aimed at the X-ray market. Or at least some sort of lab. Hewes I think might still make reels that fit but last time I looked into it they weren't exactly cheap. The Jobo reels haven't been made in years and only took five feet not the full 15.

You'll also need cans for the film. At the very least two. One for the unexposed film [like 35mm] and a second for the exposed film to be wound into.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At least in the U.S., no B&W on a regular basis. Kodak's minimum order for their aerial films is pretty high.

The only regularly available film is Kodak Portra, but it's not perfed and won't work in an unmodified Hassie back.

I've been told Agfa-Gaevert has B&W aerial film which is occasionally available, but I haven't been able to track it down. J&C in the U.S. carried some 70mm "infrared" film for a while, which some speculated was the Agfa-Gaevert.

The tanks and reels turn up on eBay every few months, but command a good price. Same for bulk loaders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're lucky: Tri-X 400 (400TX) is supposed to be available in 70mm rolls.

http://kodak.com/global/en/professio...14&lc=en#sizes

The Portras film are available in "long rolls" whatever that means; there is one type of long rolls that's on Estar base, so it might be 70mm

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...40/e4040US.pdf

Not sure if it's perf, though. Call Kodak, they should know.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In regards perforated 70mm film. All the Imax type movie cameras and projectors use 70mm film, so there is vision stock available in 70mm perforated...so Kodak does still produce perforated 70mm film stocks. However, getting still camera stocks might be an issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the reels and tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    I have the reels and tank.
    Me too, I have SS reels and tank, plus cassettes and a bulk film loader. I also have a stash of bulk 70mm perfed Kodak 2415 in my freezer (NFS!).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

short lengths

There ARE short lengths around.

Maco offers :

Rollei Infrared (double perforated, 30,5m)

Rollei Ortho 25 (non perforated, 30,0m)

Without filter the first one should make a fine superpanchromatic film (actually it is intended for double use).

For the rest:
    Some companies, like Ilford, do not even state that on reqest they would cut other sizes. Others, like Agfa, however state this. I guess it would be a good idea to inform at aero-film suppliers what they have got in their fridge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    30metres isn't short it's a bulk load. You'd need to cut it down to 15' lengths.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Concerning lenght I rather had the price issue in mind.
    Where would be the problem in cutting it down to shorter lengths?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin