Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,845   Online: 858

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Tri-X, Diafine, and printing.

I have a little question.

I shot a roll of Tri-X at 1000 and developed it in Diafine. The negatives came out rather good, as shown:

My question is this: I'll be getting an enlarger within the next few weeks (I found one! YAY!) and the rest of my stuff will follow. I know that Diafine works very well if you mean to scan your negatives, but I've never seen a print of a negative developed in Diafine. Do the negatives print well?

I may be over thinking this as I've been known to do, but I really like this combo when I'm just scanning and I hope to like it when printing as well.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've never seen any problem with printing negatives developed in Diafine myself, but I don't use it much at all anymore. It was my first developer and I've not printed those negatives in some time, but I have no memory of having any trouble at all printing them. Diafine gives less contrasty results in general so you should be able to print easily.

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Diafine has been around a lot longer than scanning. I'm sure they will be printable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, yeah.

I guess, really, the only thing I can do is tweak the ISO speed I shoot the film at and the developer I use to print until I get it right.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Well, yeah.

I guess, really, the only thing I can do is tweak the ISO speed I shoot the film at and the developer I use to print until I get it right.
    EI 1000 is probably a little slow for Tri-X in Diafine. Most people seem to use either EI 1250 or the Diafine recommended EI 1600. I use the latter, and have gotten some results I really liked.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've used it at 1200 (my meter doesn't do 1250, but how different could that possibly be?) and gotten quite nice results. The thing about Diafine is that you can only really adjust the exposure to change the results. Bracket the same subject around those times and see what you like the most.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Well, yeah.

If the light is hard and and the scene has a lot of contrast, use EI 1250. If there are no hard shadows, use EI 1600. The negatives will print just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I find I always liked Diafine results the best if I shoot box speed.

Shooting at one or two stops faster might still yield useable results, but I liked the results of box speed the best.

-KwM-

Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot at box speed, or slower, with diafine. Thing is with scanning, is that you can often retrieve more information from a scan (from an underexposed negative) than you can by printing. But despite that, TX @1000 in diafine is a common thing, so ought to be just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If something is able to be scanned it is easily able to be printed. I have never seen a neg that could be scanned but not printed unless it was underexposed and underdeveloped, but that is a rare neg indeed if you have any clue what you are doing. I am sure the negs will print fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin