Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,259   Online: 990

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    so sad, hope the best for John and His Family

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    A very sad ending to something that looked so promissing. Best to you and your family John.
    Now i am very curious about the lawsuits, if they in any way are from people i currently deal with i would like to know so i could end that relationship very fast.

jan
    If there are lawsuits...and you don't know anything about them...not even who the plaintiff might be, how can you be in a position to determine their merit? Sometimes nice people get sued and sometimes those suits have merit.

I know NOTHING about what's going on. But I'm not in a hurry to make a decision that results in the effective loss of TWO sources for materials.

It might be best to go slow, not take choose up sides and to make these decisions with the benefit of real information or not at all.

Just sayin'.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    J&C's demise is indeed a loss to the analog photo community, especially to those of us who like to use non-standard formats and love to experiment with films from small vendors. I wish John all the best, and sincerely hope for his success.

Best wishes,
    Sanjay

Shooter
    35mm
    Purely curiosity on my part as it was never likely that I was going to be able to make use of J&C, being U.K. based, but the press release raises more questions than answers.

As it operated several months ago without, I assume, any threats from suppliers or frivolous lawsuits, what has prompted these?

I thought that it closed down in order to re-open, as a bigger and more comprehensive company and couldn't logistically or financially continue to operate its then current business while trying to set up the new outfit.

Presumably the extra cash and other resources were guaranteed before it closed down, otherwise why give up a successful business and take a big hit cashflow wise unless such guarantees were in place?

I am sure I am missing something or many things here but I cannot construct a scenario of how the circumstances which has prevented re-opening taking place have come about.

There may be rivals who will be unhappy at the prospect of renewed competition but what lawsuits does the U.S. law allow which authorises what I can only assume to be a form of restraint of trade in the broadest sense of the word?

There are a lot more questions than answers at this point.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is truly distressing. J&C was just about the only one stop shopping place for the oddball stuff that we all need from time to time. It was the only place we could get many obsolete things, like dye transfer supplies, 2X3 and 3X4 sheet film, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    As it operated several months ago without, I assume, any threats from suppliers or frivolous lawsuits, what has prompted these?
    [snip]
    There may be rivals who will be unhappy at the prospect of renewed competition but what lawsuits does the U.S. law allow which authorises what I can only assume to be a form of restraint of trade in the broadest sense of the word?
    One possibility that occurs to me is that not selling products for many months might have been something that J&C's suppliers objected to. This is speculation, and I have absolutely no inside knowledge, but it looks like the kind of thing that can happen in cases like this. I also agree with the previous post that we really don't know that the lawsuits are frivolous, except that J&C believes that they are. (Even if we had all the details, frivolity is in the eye of the beholder.)

With this I agree. I doubt that what is being hinted at will not be made public, but it is hard to see this happen and not know what is going on. Of course, knowing more wouldn't help since we still wouldn't have J&C and the knowledge or accusations might hurt other suppliers or manufacturers as well.

I have not been a regular customer of J&C, but I have purchased from them and planned to do so upon their reopening. I am very sad to see that they will not be opening and if they should change their minds, I do commit to ordering products from them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I thought that it closed down in order to re-open, as a bigger and more comprehensive company and couldn't logistically or financially continue to operate its then current business while trying to set up the new outfit.

Presumably the extra cash and other resources were guaranteed before it closed down, otherwise why give up a successful business and take a big hit cashflow wise unless such guarantees were in place?

I am sure I am missing something or many things here but I cannot construct a scenario of how the circumstances which has prevented re-opening taking place have come about.

pentaxuser
    You are correct that we don't know the full story. In particular, we don't know any details of the threatened lawsuits, and we should be careful to not speculate about them. However, you need to understand that in the US, the threat of a lawsuit is sometimes part of a business strategy. Even if you doubt that you would prevail in court, you might choose to threaten to sue if you suspect that your business competitor's finances would not withstand the cost of defending a suit. It's called "hardball". And yes, we probably have a few too many lawyers.

A successful business has obligations to both its customers and suppliers. To discontinue operations with only a vague promise of when they would reopen was not a very smart business decision because it left both customers and suppliers with uncertainty about the future. While J&C definitely provided a good service to their customers and the LF community in general while they were in operation, it is sad to say that they were run more as a hobby than as a business.
    Louie

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    "And yes, we probably have a few too many lawyers."

Gee, and I always thought lawyers represented clients who filed lawsuits. I didn't realize that a lawyer could just go around filing lawsuits without any clients.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My best wishes to John and his family. I too hope to see his B&W business become a Phoenix and go forward with providing the quality products and service he has previously made available to our photographic community.

Jon
    Everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot; that does not mean you should exercise your right!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This blows!
    Not that I was a big customer of theirs, but they always stepped up to the plate with 'problem' orders where something wasn't as expected. I loved dealing with them, and would have done so more if I could afford it when they were in operation.
    I hope John can recover nicely from this, and come out ahead. Perhaps in the future we'll see him doing something along the same lines again. Who knows?!

- Thomas

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin