Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,743   Online: 813

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've already e-mailed my thoughts to John directly, but I would mention here that any of the East European films that J&C sold are available through fotoimpex.de. If you don't see a size you want on the website, e-mail Mirko, and he can usually arrange it. I was ordering from them before J&C was in business and used to batch order with other friends in the city to save on shipping.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We must not forget also that on top of re-opening with new facilities, J&C wanted to get into the film coating business. I will leave it to the experts to assess the magnitude of additional headaches this might have created.

For now I can only wish good luck and good health to John in his next endeavours, and I hope that any pending issues with customers and/or business partners will be solved.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Terrible news indeed. I wish John and his family the best. I hope he stays in touch here.

fwp

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was afraid this was going to happen when J&C first closed down. I've seen companies "suspend" operation before and they never come back. I'm sure I wasn't the only one here that thought so but still hoped against hope that we were wrong. It's a sad day and I will miss J&C!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    R.I.P. J&C.

I do hope that things work out for John personally. Give 'em hell, John.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish John well. I wont add anything beyond that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    ...it was the only place in the US that carried paper
    in 12x16 sizes. I'm so sorry.
    I also had an interest in 12x16. So what now is for
    sale, the company, inventory, good will? Were they
    making money? Any experienced staff. That last but
    far from least? Dan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    "And yes, we probably have a few too many lawyers."

Gee, and I always thought lawyers represented clients who filed lawsuits. I didn't realize that a lawyer could just go around filing lawsuits without any clients.
    there's an old saying that every lawyer i've encountered smiles at when hearing it: a town with only one lawyer has a poor lawyer; a town with two lawyers has two rich ones.

It's sad to see another supplier of quality products go out of business. B&S never directly competed with J&C, so we felt they were complimentary to our business, and vice versa.

I do know that it's difficult to speculate what "frivolous lawsuits" could mean. There are three options:
    1. Lawsuits between manufacturers and their retailers.
    2. Lawsuits between competing manufacturers and distributors.
    3. Internal lawsuits among the partners of the company, their financial backers or others.

We'll probably never know the specifics of who was threatening whom with lawsuits, so I find it odd that they put that on their website, knowing that it was only going to cause rampant speculation. Very odd indeed...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also wan't to add my best wishes to John who I met at Toronto APUG conference.Stay healthy and come back better then ever. My wish is for J&C to came back. We should all wish that as a collective.

Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin