Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,569   Online: 995

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Forgot to ask you, did you do pre-soak?

I don't use pre-soak for this combo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by highpeak View Post
    According to the "darkroom cook book", for the developing time you used, the agitation is too much. It recommend 1 minute agitation at the beginning and 10 seconds every start of the minute. Over agitation will produce more grain and overdevelopment. Also when agitate, try to reverse directions, make sure even development.

good luck,

Alex W.
    Well, this explains the results I'm getting. Not bad results, just not quite what I was hoping for. I'll adjust and see if that helps. BTW, I don't pre-soak the film before developing.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No doubt, the Agfa recommended times are for a contrast index of 0.65, which is a bit hot for many subjects.

Consider that Agfa is from northern Europe where the weather is often dark, gloomy, and overcast. Film developed to a contrast index of 0.56 would be a bit flat for printing on a #2 grade, or maybe even a #3 grade, paper. So maybe there is some logical reason for that recommendation. Lower the contrast of your film in the usual ways; decrease development time, increase dilution, decrease agitation - you know what to do.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Antony View Post
    I miss the Agfa papers especially Record Rapid.
    I have stocked up with APX 100 but only have 35mm would love some 120.
    I would be willing to part with a couple rolls of APX 100 - 120 if it makes you happy. And I am going to look into the Record Rapid issue also. Used to be my favourite paper...
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    An important element about over agitating is that overagitation has a limiting impact on the agacency effects gained by the use of the dilute developer.
    Anscojohn, Mount Vernon, Virginia, USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember the APX100 and Rodinal combination with fondness. I think I got equally amazing results with Efke R100 and the same developer, with the Efke perhaps being a little bit richer. What I liked was the fine grain (even with Rodinal) along with the sharpness.
    Rodinal is still sold and available but APX100 is becoming more and more scarce since its obsolesence, so I dropped the subject alltogether and started using Ilford FP4+ for most of my purposes, and I've never looked back.
    If you have a lot of APX100 lying around, then have fun with it! I loved it.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi View Post
    I would be willing to part with a couple rolls of APX 100 - 120 if it makes you happy. And I am going to look into the Record Rapid issue also. Used to be my favourite paper...
    That would be awesome, and it would make me very happy.
    How much? trade something?
    Thanks
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I thought Rollei Retro 100 was the same film as APX 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    I thought Rollei Retro 100 was the same film as APX 100.
    Yes I've read that, but...
    Remember that the Agfa Leverkusen plant has shut, and according to my sources the machinery has gone; who make it now Maco? did they buy the machinery?

I'm not sure I haven't tried the Retro, I'd like the opinion of those who have as to if it is indeed re-badged APX

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did they buy the technique and technicians?....who knows.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin