Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,149   Online: 925

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

APX and Rodinal: The Dynamic Duo

Hi All,

I've been experimenting with APX 100 and Rodinal. This combination seems to work well together as I generally like how APX turns out. However, I'm thinking the recommended Agfa development time is a little too long. The negatives seem overdeveloped and there's significant grain (which isn't a surprise). Although I'm expecting some grain, I believe the grain can be a little less pronounced than the results I'm seeing.

I'm using a 1:50 dilution ratio and developing for 17 minutes at EI 100. Initial agitation is for 30 seconds and 5 seconds every half minute. Can anyone give me their preferred Rodinal dilution and development technique, especially if it involves APX 100. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Snapshot; 05-16-2007 at 07:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe their times are rather long, something about developing to a higher contrast index?

My preferred method for APX100 (120) and Rodinal is: Rodinal 1+100 at 20C for 20 minutes. Five inversions at the start of each minute for the first three minutes, then one inversion every three minutes. Expose at box speed.

Images
    AGFA considers normal contrast index to be 0.65. Most of us would rather have about 0.56 for average scenes, so it's no wonder the AGFA recommentation is too hot for comfort. Agitation for 5 seconds every minute may do the job.

Are you seeing grain at normal viewing distance? That would be about 18 inches from a 10X enlargement of a full 35 mm frame. Don't let grain sniffers near your pictures.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using APX 100 in Rodinal & I took the times from the massive dev chart.
    Rodinal 1:50 is 13 minutes & gives me good results.
    Gentle agitation for the first 30 seconds & then 10 seconds at the start of each minute.

17 minutes sounds like too much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with PC Headland; EI 100, 1:100, 20m @ 20C, but my agitation is a bit less. 30 sec. initial agitation, then 3 gentle inversions every 3 minutes. Gives beautiful negs, but YMMV depending on whether you want to enlarge with condensor or diffusion enlarger, or are only scanning, as blasphemous as the latter may be. :o
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    I've been using APX 100 in Rodinal & I took the times from the massive dev chart.
    Rodinal 1:50 is 13 minutes & gives me good results.
    Gentle agitation for the first 30 seconds & then 10 seconds at the start of each minute.

17 minutes sounds like too much.
    That's exactly what I have been doing with this combo. It worked very nice so far, give me good sharpness and little grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by highpeak View Post
    That's exactly what I have been doing with this combo. It worked very nice so far, give me good sharpness and little grain.
    It may be that I'm agitating too much and that's why there's is some over development.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The magic combinations as far as I am concerned. I cut development time a little, because the contrast was creeping up. Agitate gently.

I used to shoot APX100 in Rodinal with my Summicron collapsible or Summicron Dual Range. Printed on AGFA Classic VC Fiber (glossy) it was sheer magic. The prints just glowed and even laymen noticed it. This was a huge loss when AGFA went to the great darkroom in the sky.

The glow is even somewhat visible in a highly compressed jpeg like this shot I made last year at the Getty Center in Los Angeles.

http://elanphotos.com/ElanFotos/Port.../slide_100.htm

You can almost read the letters on the plaque, next to the stairs. This was with the 35 Summilux ASPH.
    Last edited by Harry Lime; 05-17-2007 at 07:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

APX

I miss the Agfa papers especially Record Rapid.
    I have stocked up with APX 100 but only have 35mm would love some 120.
    Agfa times in Rodinal are a little long and as has been noted for high contrast, I like Apx 100 20 mins at 1:100, the 400 I rate at 1:50 for 18 mins (rather than the recommended 30!).
    here is a shot on APX400

I tried to give the Record rapid colour and 'glow' not sure how it will look on your monitors.
    I test some films on my blog
    http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    It may be that I'm agitating too much and that's why there's is some over development.

According to the "darkroom cook book", for the developing time you used, the agitation is too much. It recommend 1 minute agitation at the beginning and 10 seconds every start of the minute. Over agitation will produce more grain and overdevelopment. Also when agitate, try to reverse directions, make sure even development.

good luck,

Alex W.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin