Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,387   Online: 1013

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Based on the work TheFlyingCamera have shown here and also the recomendation for the Fomapan 200 it is now becomming my main film in both 5x7 and 8x10
    It is a superp film for tonality and contrast for alternative work.
    And, the price can not be beaten.

jan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been shooting a fair amount of the 200 lately in medium format. Here's a recent 6x-not-quite-17 in Acufine--

flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Makes me want to put a sweater on . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Fomatone Classic is so damn beautiful for lith printing that I almost don't want to waste it on conventional printing.

Which leads me to ask -- how is it for conventional printing?
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If its economical for you (shipping prices) I strongly recommend the Arista Ultra.edu line. Its all Foma. I'm playing with Arista 200 shot at 100 ASA and it seems quite nice. I also have the Arista variable contrast fiber based paper, and that stuff is great. It develops as fast as RC, and to my aesthetic looks a lot nicer. Try some out!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I've been testing the Arista Edu Ultra FB paper from Freestyle. It has to my eye a slight warmth to it. I've been experimenting with a version of Ansco 130 that gives it a nice warm silver/black tone to the shadows with a slight warmth to the highlights. A very nice paper for the price.

Jim

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Bill,

I tried the Fomapan 400 Iso and I gave it up because it was not satisfactory, but a deeper investigation was necessary (I tried only very few rolls). On 35mm I use almost only Tri-X and the Foma was not the same. On 120 format maybe I could give it a try, but so far I'm sticking on Adox CHM 400 because it is the cheapest I can buy (I'm still learning how to use the Hassy...), for sure not the best one too.

About the paper, I tried the multigrade RC, I don't rememeber the exact name. I have been really disappointed by it - I come from Agfa MCC and the Foma is not in the level: pretty thinner, I found some uneven coating and there are ESD taking the foils out of the bag (!!!!) that leave marks... never seen anything like this before.

So, my point of view is that if you are on the budget side it can be worth to try Foma material, with some attention on the handling of the paper. If instead you want high quality, you have to look for something different.

Regs

Elia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've recently started printing on Fomabrom paper, and it looks beautiful to my eye. No issues regarding quality.

Trond

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought 50 sheets of Arista.EDU in 8x10 from Freestyle to try. I've been developing in trays in straight D76 and initially rated the film at ISO 125. After some over-exposed and over-developed negatives, I'm at 4 minutes in D76 at 68 deg. F. at ISO 200 and it's a lovely film. One issue, though: about 10-15% of my negatives have what appears to be a continuous roller mark on the back of the film sheet, about 1.5 inches from one of the long edges of the film (I believe the same edge which is notched,) extending from one edge of the film to the other and absolutely straight. The mark is very light and can only be seen holding the film at an angle to the light. The mark is definately not put there by the film holders. I haven't seen any trace of them on the work prints yet (although my printing of these negatives has not been extensive.) Has anyone else seen that?

mjs

Shooter
    35mm
    I am replacing Tri-X with foma 400 (edu ultra 400) as the everyday film. The first impression with rodinal was bad but d76 (1+1) archive better. it's not going to be as great as tri-x but its certainly better than forte and classic. the speed is around 320. but the latest 100' I am using seems to be 400. I tried foma 100 and 200. they are both great in rodinal. the 35mm film has solid base and it doesn't curl.

I have no complains on their fb and rc paper.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin