Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,800   Online: 979

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    I didn't try yet. But in fact it may not affect the film, since it's coated on PET base. It seem the only way to dry flat.
    I don't know why I'd do that.

The Foma sheet film I have used - the 100 - dries perfectly flat (I hang it by one edge with a clothes peg). The roll films (the 100 and 400) also dry flat, I hang them from a clothes line attached with 2 pegs at the top and another 1 or 2 at the bottom as a weight. When I cut the film when dry, I don't have any problem with any curl at all... Much easier and less prone to damage of film IMO...
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes, but I, when I dry it following the same method as you, it is very curly. But only in 120 format. Not in 135.
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Strange (and funny), must be some chemicals dissoluted in water or whatever...
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by poutnik View Post
    As per srs5694, you will have to test yourself.

As a hint, my best results so far have been with this film shot at EI 250 or EI 320, developed in R09 1:40 (don't remember the time and don't have the notes at hand). I have also shot this also at EI 1600 (and developed accordingly longer), but will not do that again
    Fomapan 400 definitely needs to be overexposed approximately one stop. I'm developing it in stock strength XTOL, re-used in a five liter container, non-replenished, good for fifty rolls of 135 if you process them within a couple of months.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From the Fomapan 400 specs:
    Base
    The following bases are used for manufacturing the particular sorts of the film:
    -120 rollfilm -a bluish polyester base 0.1 mm thick, furnished with a matted colour
    backing which will decolourize during processing. The backing has anti-halation
    and anti-curling properties and prevents the incidence of Newton rings during
    enlarging.
    -35 mm film -a gray or gray-blue cellulose triacetate base 0.125 mm thick.

( http://www.foma.cz/Upload/foma/prilohy/F_pan_400_en.pdf )

That means the 120 roll film will always have more curl due to the polyester material. However the curling of this film is depending on the type of wetting agent and the drying conditions of the film. The relative humidity is an important factor and I am sure this one will be (normally) very low in Limoges (France) and much higher in Brno (Czech Republic). 50-70% rel. humidity will dry a Fomapan film in about 2-3 hours at room temperature. After 12 hours I put them in the sleeves and they are then pretty flat after being some time in the map.

Heating up any films above 40-45 degrees C. is not a good idea.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    IN fact that is the way a professional lab told me to dry these films. But I never tried. A bit worry
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fomapan 400 definitely needs to be overexposed
    Reading from the same Fomapan 400 spec you can see that even in Microphen (Ilford speed enhanced developer) the film will hardly reach an E.I. of 320. (C.I. is then already 0,8 !!)

According our measurements the right E.I. for Rodinal or Fomadon R09 with this film is indeed an extra full F stop.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Medium Format
    IN fact that is the way a professional lab told me to dry these films
    These labs are working with C41 and E6 films developed on 38 degrees C in the whole process and they are drying in a cabinet around 45 degrees C. 5 minutes later they're put in the printing machine

Developing a B&W film on 20 degrees C processing and drying on 70 degrees C will damage the film definitely.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin